October 1, 2009 – Sing me a song: Music

Discussion Leaders:

M — Katie Kutnak; Laura Dick

O — Stacey Peros; Maggie Kem; Ashlee Sisson

Benjamin Zander on Music and Passion

Jose Abreu on Kids Transformed by Music

Emmanuel Jal: The Music of a War Child

(Optional for McClurken)

Articles:

http://www.creativity-portal.com/articles/ellen-robinson/singing-is-everything.html (Optional for McClurken)

http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/4-5-2005-68163.asp

McClurken: http://www.newsweek.com/id/158755/page/1

Please put your class at the beginning of your comments!

39 Comments

• I find this topic very interesting because I have a strong passion for music. I’m not talented when it comes to music. I can’t play an instrument nor sing, whatsoever. However, I rely on music to make me happy, to inspire me, to motivate me, to make me think, or to calm me down. Music is the one thing I tend to turn to that makes me feel creative or happy. In the first article, the author wrote that listening to music creates a new neural pathway in your brain that stimulates creativity. I agree with this completely and I think that music can be a very good thing for people. Music has the ability to change a person’s mood from sad to happy. It can also cause someone to remember a happy moment from the past. Of course, there will be times you may get upset from a song or remember a time that makes you sad, but music still has the power to alter or express your emotions. I think that alone is something so interesting. I enjoyed the last video the most because Emmanuel Jal was turning to music in order to express an older woman and man’s lost and hurt emotions because they had no way to do it. Emmanuel Jal expressed himself and the feelings and hardships of those who grew up around him through music and lyrics.

I’m not sure what the discussion in class will be or how we will relate to the videos, so I am looking forward to class.

• O’Donnell

As one of the discussion leaders, our two main topics of focus for tomorrow will be passion and how music can impact you. We thought all 3 of these videos are related because all three of the speakers are passionate about music, and they use their passion to change the world. Benjamin Zander explains how passion is used in playing music. Jose Antonio Abreu used his passion for music to make lives of children better in his country. Emmanuel Jal explains his story through song and actually lets his audience experience what he has experienced through song. I think all three speakers were great, and I hope all of you enjoy these videos! I am looking forward to a great class discussion tomorrow.

–Stacey Peros

• (McClurken)
    At first I didn’t like the first video because I wasn’t much of a fan of classicle music, I appreciated it but never went out of my way to listen to it. After seeing what Zander did with it, making it into almost like a story where it couldn’t end just yet, I actually became interested. I didn’t like the second video, because the person was wasn’t there giving the talk. It was hard to pay attention to. Emanuel Jal’s talk was on my top ten list at the beginning of the course. I wasn’t to fond of his first poem just because it lacked music to go with it so his flow was off a little. I loved the song at the end though, even if his dances were a little crazy. (now I know how he almost broke his leg dancing) I actually went onto iTunes and bought his album.
    None of the articles really grabbed my attention, but the part about why a song gets stuck in your head. As I was reading this Emanuel Jal’s song was playing in my head.

• O’Donnell

I think that the first video had a big impact on me. When i was younger i was forced to play the piano and take lessons. The more i think about it it makes me realize that i only didn’t want to play because my mom was making me. As i got older i noticed that because i was so young, i didn’t have any passion for the piano. When i got older, i then started becoming more passionate about playing and actually wanted to play. I think that had a lot to do with the fact that when someone’s forced to do something, it makes them not want to do it even more. When you’re not forced to do something, it gives you a chance to actually want to do it because you want to and not because someone else wants you to.

I use music as a way to just escape from life for a bit. Whenever i need a serious break from something, i just drown out my thoughts with music.

I liked Emmanuel Jal’s accent, haha. I thought his video kept my attention and i really liked the song that he sang at the end.

• O’Donnell
    Benjamin Zander is a class act, and his talk about how to listen to classical music was brilliant. His passion is evident and he is inspiring. His talk ties in well with the Abreu talk, and collectively they pose some questions. Abreu talks about helping children by involving them in his orchestra, but if they aren’t getting paid, and most of them won’t ever be good enough to make a living, it seems this would hurt economic infrastructure. He cited children playing viola while their dad is away being a carpenter. Without the orchestra they would probably be learning the trade and helping support the family. How important is music, really? It has no practical use besides relaxation. It’s communication properties stray toward the emotional end of the spectrum as opposed to the pragmatic (try getting someone to do what you want with music).
    The WarChild’s music was brilliant, better than almost all rap or hip-hop I’ve heard. I think the discussion has to address why time spent making and consuming music shouldn’t be put somewhere else.

• McClurken
    This topic is very interesting because music can be heard and interpreted. My brother loves heavy metal, and I can not stand it. The article that Daniel Levitin wrote was interesting because he said that we had to find a common ground in music, and that even with a common ground, everybody is different. Jose Abreu is interesting because he gave kids that would not normally have a chance to express themselves in a productive way, he gave young children something to look forward to. I like that he provided an instrument to encourage their creativity. The movie on Jose Abreu was my favorite. I like how when Emmanuel Jal was singing, he was using such emotion that is not really heard in today’s rap culture.

• The topic of music really grabbed my attention because I am always around music where ever I go. Listening to classical music is no part of my life because it just puts me to sleep. Listening to Benjamin Zander talk about classical music, and seeing what he can do with made me understand that type of genre better. Also since I am taking a Music History class I can relate to what he is talking about. The second video was not my cup of tea, I did not like reading the subtitles throughout the whole video. I lost interest in that video and couldn’t pay attention. Watching the third listening to Emmanuel talk really touched me. He was growing up in the slums of his country, and inspired him to tell his story through music.
    Reading the article on how our brain memorizes music reminds of a comment that my basketball coach said. Stating that, “if their was a beat every time he would say something would we wouldn’t forget what he says.” I think that is true because I memorize lots of songs due to the repetition of the beat.

• (O’donnell)

I think “sing me a song” will be a very interesting topic to discuss in class. I loved the first movie because I used to play the piano through elementary school and would move my head exactly like Benjamin Zander in the Talk. I used to play the piano but became bored of it and quit at the age of ten. Who knows what my life would be like if I still continued to play.

I do agree with Kelsey that music has the ability to make you happy or sad depending on the song you’re listening to. You can learn a lot about a musical artist when he or she plays a song. Emnauel Jal’s talk was very fascinating because he raps for people whose voices can’t be heard. It’s crazy that he used to be a child solider in Africa and is now rapping to show what he feels and what he saw. Other than that I love listening to any kind of music, it just depends on what kind of mood I’m in. All in all, I liked all the videos.

• McClurken

The first video on Benjamin Zander was really inspiring. Its pretty cool that he proved that nobody was REALLY actually tone deaf. I wish however that he hadn’t been such a nose breather. When I was trying to do what he said and follow the line and think about someone who I loved but was no longer here I kept hearing his stupid nose breathing heavy in and out. He did a really good rendition of how kids play the piano also, with his head going and everything. I didn’t really understand his point- at first I thought it was to prove that everyone wasn’t really tone deaf but then in the end all of the sudden he brought in success. I really thought that his idea of success being the light in the eyes of his performers and audience seemed heartfelt and that he really believed everything he said. I think the best point he made in this entire video is that when you are a leader you must have the faith that the people you are trying to lead will be able to see where you are coming from and the light at the end of the tunnel of your plans. The second video was really torture you guys. I have a headache from trying to read and watch and have the background moving through the video while I read. All I really got out of it was that music brings social classes that otherwise would be separated, together. I think its really good that these kids are getting a chance to learn so much from music. Intellectually growing and enjoying themselves- its a good video, but I wish someone would have translated it verbally. I don’t think that would draw from the video at all. I can see where the first required article is coming from- but just like we talked about last class, where is this coming from? Its just a .com website, and no real proof that its a reliable source… I tend to back away from .com websites for anything knowledge related. The last article is just weird. I get that beats help people accomplish group related activities efficiently, like “left, left, left right left” but I really don’t understand how all of these things are going to be related. I am excited to find out.

• McClurken
    I think that people CAN be tone deaf – personally I couldn’t tell the difference in those cords he was playing, and when he was playing that song and he told everyone that they would really see what Chopin was thinking, it didn’t affect me at all. I saw nothing- just heard some music. I don’t know how we are going to have a discussion based on these readings and videos. I understand that music can help you intellectually grow, but doesn’t everything you hear and witness add to the vast knowledge that your brain can store? There is nothing really to talk about in class- like, these were touching stories, and informative readings but I just can’t relate at all to anything anyone was talking about. The guy in the first video had really good speaking abilities. Even though I couldn’t really relate to anything he was saying and I didn’t take anything away from it (I understood his message..I just can’t even begin to relate) he kept my attention long enough to get his point across, which I guess was his goal. The most annoying thing I have ever had to do in my life was having to listen to this guy speaking to me in spanish and having to read along with subtitles. Even with the subtitles I couldn’t really get much out of it because the whole effect lulled me almost to sleep.

• O’Donnell

I enjoyed these videos this week because I am a fan of music and will forever have love for music. I thought the videos were pretty interesting and each had something different perspectives to offer. I think that nreemtse’s post is in many ways impetuous and an obtuse way of thinking. To say that people are tone deaf really bewilders me because I find it fairly absurd that someone can’t tell the difference between various tones. And for them to say that listening to say that the Spanish speaking video was the most annoying thing they have ever had to do is childish. I think that he offered an interesting perspective that hasn’t had much exposure before and is intriguing for several reasons. Overall I think that the videos were pretty interesting and I’m looking forward to seeing what direction the discussion leaders are going to take this.

• McClurken

I really enjoyed the first video out of everything watched because I feel like although he is mainly talking about music, the theme can be applied to everyday life events. The main idea I got out of it was that if you are persistent you can accomplish anything. In our society we are very big into instant gratification and I feel my generation has lost the patience that older generations possess. In all that we do, be it a sport, good grades, or simply finishing a book, if we are persistent then we can achieve greatness. The story about the sister and brother at the end going into the concentration camp gave me goosebumps 🙂

Music can affect your mood greatly, I agree. If I’m singing, then I am in a good mood. If I’m not, stay away. Music can definitely lighten (or darken) the mood for me as well. Just a little tidbit on the inside of me.

http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/bb/neuro/neuro06/web1/elewis.html

As the above article states, music releases endorphins, therefore releasing pain. (aka, when in a bad mood lock yourself in a room and listen to Mika or S Club 7 to make you feel better).

🙂

Felicia

Felicia Holzgrefe

• O’Donnell

At last, a topic that won’t tear up the TED.COM FSEM family into battling sides! Or…will it…?

I do enjoy myself music. I play the banjo, harmonica, piano, the spoons, and if you could call it an instrument, I do a bit of singing and beat-boxing. My view of music takes a more mathematical approach. This comes from a Music Theory course I took in High School. I find that music is as much of an art as it is a mathematics subject. Harmonies, keys, cadences, rhythms, there are patterns and mathematics to it all.

Benjamen Zanders is hilariously brilliant. Out of the videos, that one was my favorite. The way he treats music, life, and success is exactly how it all should be treated.

I’m not 1000% sure that music is something everyone needs to invest in, but everyone needs to invest in something, and music is a popular and beneficial choice.

• It perturbs me that Benjamin Zander says that if the 10 year old had played 1 more year he would have been that much better because maybe I could’ve been that 11 year old with only one impulse music.

Jose Abreu was a much better talk for me. I enjoyed the presentation format and I really liked his message. His generalizing statements may have gotten on some people’s nerves (about how music is the cure for poverty), but they’re great ideologies. I thought that his wish was a little anticlimactic after the great video of him that they had just showed, but it’s hard to top a well-done film like that.

Emmanuel Jal put up some good stuff too, but as soon as I heard his rap at the end I realized why he hadn’t raised enough money for the school in Darfur yet… He’s not very good. Now, whether or not this has to do with decreased activity due to the limited amount of food he’s consuming, I don’t know, but I do know that if he wants money, he better get on CashMoney: http://www.cashmoney-records.com/home.asp.

I looked Emmanuel up just to make sure he was putting his best effort forward though. I googled the man. Here’s cool Rolling Stone magazine interview with him: http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/20721941/emmanuel_jal_behind_the_warchild/2 . I enjoyed reading it. He has heard other rap, so he knows what people like, yet he still remains unique. Maybe it will pay off? I wonder if he’s started eating 3 meals a day yet?

• McClurken,
    I like the topic because i enjoy music in all its fashioons, besides country, and love seeing it connect to life. The first video wasnt that good at first until he mentioned how the music was like a language. Thats freakn cool, but i knew that already. So the second video was good but he didnt move around and the music almost put me to sleep, reading the subtitles was too hard for me, ha, and the point of that video was way shorter than he made it out to be. Music helps children by making them more driven and giving them and their communities more to feel connected to.

I feel as though music is a great communitcator and helps connect people of different cultures. I think it is important and should be strengthend in schools world wide.

• O’Donnell

Where the discussion leaders are going to go with this should be interesting because this is such a broad topic. But, my feelings on music are similar to Kelsey’s in that i love how music can make you happy, sad, make you think, or make you feel like you need to make a change in something. Music is a way for people to escape from their daily lives and stresses in their lives. Music also helps connect people from all walks of life due to different tastes in music.

“I think that nreemtse’s post is in many ways impetuous and an obtuse way of thinking. To say that people are tone deaf really bewilders me because I find it fairly absurd that someone can’t tell the difference between various tones.”
    -jhitch32
    (if there were only a like button like there is on facebook, because i completely agree with james.)

• O’Donnell

I’m very interested to see where this discussion is going to end up. In my experience music has always been based off emotion and what kind of mood
    i’m in. Music can be inspiring, annoying, fun and relaxing. If you ever are alone and need something to fall to music is probably at the top of the list, because in many ways you could say that music understands how you feel.

• O donnell
    WOW… I really loved the first talk! It was amazing. I have always respected all types of music. After taking music classes and being exposed to all different genres I realized that music isn’t just sound. It’s and expression, the artist is really throwing them self into every note and every line. I think Zanders was an amazing speaker and he was was able to get some important points across. I loved that fact that he seemed genuinely invested in the audience and actually excited about being there, talking, and spreading the joy of music to the audience. His passion was truly inspiring.
    The third talk Emmanuel Jal was also incredible. His story was awesome and it was truly eye opening. When he sang you could really feel his emotion through his music. That’s really what I love about music its so expressive and full of passion. Im so excited for our discussion tomorrow, this is an awesome topic.

• As one of the group leaders, it will be a goal of mine to direct the class tomorrow with Stacey and Ashlee for our group to see music less as just means of entertainment and more as a powerful tool that can enrich lives and communities (on a micro or macro level) or as an agent that can tear communities apart.

We are focusing a lot on the emotional side of humanity, which music can touch deeply, however we will look at broader effects that extend beyond just the emotions of an individual. Start thinking about the importance of music in your own life – how has it shaped who you have become? Has it not shaped you in the least? Is music something that is useful or is it a lark?

• McClurken

I like to listen to music a lot and I feel that it influences me in almost every moment of my life. Saying that, I would not be able to recongize the certain beats that Benjamin Zander points out to us, unless he was to show them to me as he did. I feel as though I was just able to enjoy music and not recognize the beats due to the fact that I’m not an expert in the music field. This can also to relate to other things such as sports. I play baseball and when watching a game I can notice certain things that happen in the game that many people wouldn’t recognize as I have played for a really long time and understand more than they do. I feel that this topic can create a really good discussion because many people listen to music but it can also be a bad discussion because I am unsure of what kind of topics can branch off oif music.

• I disagree with the proposition that school’s should force you to take music, like Nick said the option should be out there but its up to your parents to expose you to music or art or whatever. Over all I feel like music can make people happy and bring them together but its hard for music to be the downfall of a relationship.

• All in all, I still believe that music impacts us greatly and impacts each individual person in a different way. We began talking about art at the end of class and I feel like anything you look at can be interpreted as art, whether it be music, art, or a math problem. Each can incite emotions from the individual and art (including music) defines us as a culture. As I said during the discussion and tag-teamed with Paul, we as a generation are greatly diverse and our music reflects our diversity. In twenty years, though, who knows, maybe we will only be known for Techno/Pop/Hip Hop music like past generations are only known for a specific genre of music.

• The message of the discussion today was that musis affects us all in different ways. We all like different types of musci and the tone shows us which emotions we should feel from it. I was taught to like a certain type of music then i grew up but that type that i was taught has stuck with me, if even a small bit.

• I am not sure if I agree with Felicia’s point that we all are affected by music differently. I feel like whether or not you like it- a sad song isn’t going to make you happy or mad, and vice versa. I still think art can affect you just as much as music does- maybe not a painting, but at least modern art can be pretty effective in getting emotions out of people. I can’t say my mind has changed on any subjects we covered, but Laura and her partner really knew their facts and this spurred a conversation on a subject I feel could be more difficult to discuss. Because of this difficulty I don’t think anything could be said negatively about them as discussion leaders- there were far less awkward silences than I anticipated. So kudos to them. With “practice makes perfect” and “practice makes better” I must chose to rely on the first saying because I would rather have high expectations, to reach perfection, than to just be better. “practice makes better”, while indeed true, wouldn’t be something I would tell small children who I want to inspire to work to achieve perfection. I think that being in tune with certain skills, like dancing, or music, or even reading- does take out the wonder, but I must agree with what Laura said in class that it also causes a greater appreciation for a job well done. So while you are critiquing- you can still feel that connection with the performer and are proud to, say with dancing, be a dancer like them.

• McClurken
    Today’s class was interesting. Not everybody is affected by music the same way. When I hear a happy song it brings my mood up where as someone else would get really annoyed or mad. When we look at paintings, we can only use our words to describe it. In music, we can make a response to it becuase we can try to recreate it. We can play all sorts of different instruments, I realize that in art there are a bunch of different brushes and colors and such, but creating your own music takes a more physical role. That is what I like about music. Both music and paintings can influence what makes us unique.

• For some whatever reason my pre-comment didn’t get posted? My internet was being funny yesterday so it must not have been able to go through and get posted. Well my pre-comment went something like this:

Music plays such a big part in my life, there is literally never an hour that goes by without music being played. It helps me when I’m upset, or pumps me up when I’m working out, or relaxes me when I’m falling asleep. Music has an affect on people that is not comparable to anything else. It gives people an irreplacable feeling. People can listen to music and relate to the stories being told and connect with the singer on some sort of level. I really liked Benjamin Zander’s “Music and Passion”. He’s sharing his love for classical music and did a good job at getting others to appreciate it as well.

Post comment:
    I thought today’s discussion went fairly well. There weren’t very many differing opinions on the topic but i thought the leaders did as good as they could to keep the discussion going! After the discussion I started to think about all the different ways music can affect different people. Some as an escape, some as a hobby, some as a talent, and some as a profession. It’s amazing to see how much music has progressed and the role it plays in everyone’s life in one way or another. I’m curious to see how different generations to come will view music.

• O’Donnell

Although today’s discussion was not as heated as our previous discussions, I still thought it went well. It was not really a controversial topic to begin with so I was not expecting a lot of arguments anyway. Most of our discussion focused on the idea of what makes a good song. What touches people? Is it the lyrics or the music or both? We looked at some hip-hop lyrics in class. Without the music, I could not relate to them, but when I heard the music and the passion in the singer’s voice, I felt some emotion. Thus, I believe that in order for a song to be able to touch me, there needs to be a combination of good lyrics in a marriage with good music.

I believe that people can still listen to music that they cannot relate to. As long as you can feel the emotion the singer is going through, I am sure we can enjoy the music. For example, many people enjoyed Emmanuel Jal’s Ted Talk even though no one was ever in his situation. Instead, it was emotion and his unique style which attracted people to him and his story. I believe we can learn to coexist from music, just as Jal learned to coexist with the Muslims in Sudan through his music. Personally, some of the music my friends in college listen to I would have never listened to back in high school, but now since I am living with these people, I am being exposed to more music and I am being more open-minded. Sure, I may not like all of the music my friends play here, but at least I am not as closed-minded about music as I was in high school.

–Stacey Peros

• O’Donnell

Today’s discussion left a gaping hole in my understanding of music. I realized that music lies extremely close to emotion on a hierarchy that looks something like this:

emotion-music-nonverbal communication-speaking

Anyone touched by music appreciates that it touches them emotionally. What I miss in all of this is why is that necessary? We could form an Abreuian society where the children ALL played in the orchestra and ALL felt good about themselves and there would be no economic output, no practical application for their skills. In the long run what does music accomplish? I’ve seen the bad things, violence, drugs, sex, revolt, but is music inspiring the children to accept that they will have to work for a living at some point?
    The point I tried making in class was that classical music is closest to an education. If one is going to pursue music as a hobby, it has to be music of merit. As a general rule, anything on the radio, any hip-hop, any pop, lacks this attribute. Music entertains, but how much should we sacrifice for entertainment?

• O’Donnell

I thought today’s talk was a little too broad and felt that only a few people expressed what they thought of music. Honestly music to me is something everyone can somehow relate to, even without words. Music is a place to find our peace of mind. I think that we don’t necessarily have to learn something every time we listen. A lot of times that’s what we do to get away from complicated things and just listen.

• O’Donnell
    The class discussion was pretty good. I feel like alot of people can easily relate to this topic and it is something many people can be passionate about. Personally I love music and I listen to it for hours everyday. Music definitely has the power to elicit strong emotion which is why I think it is so wonderful. I had a hard time relating to Edmund’s point of view in the previous post. I guess I have a more idealistic view of things. To me i would consider happiness and personal value of life more important than practicality and financial output. If there was an Abreuian society in which all the children loved and played music why could this not be the way they lived their life. If it brings them personal fulfillment to play music why stop them? There is no basis to the claim that their musical talents would never have a practical application or even financial output. Music can be an occupation, and just because its unconventional in a society doesn’t mean that it is impossible.
    We also discussed in class that some lyrics are just stupid and do not have any substance. I agree with this statement but I don’t think that this should discredit any genre of music. Just because the mainstream music in a certain genre may see ignorant doesn’t make the whole genre inferior to any other type of music. Each style is unique and can be inspiring and educational in its own way.

• McClurken

Today’s class discussion went alright, but it was interesting seeing how music affects people differently than others. Myself personally likes to hear music when I am about to do something for example lifting, playing basketball, and sometimes doing homework. Referring back to the class discussion someone asked if art and music have the same affect on somebody. I don’t they do at all unless you understand art, but music to me seems easier to understand. Music is around us wherever we go no matter what.

• McClurken

Thanks everyone for the kind comments about our discussion! I also thought it went pretty well. Maybe it’s because I’ve taken an art history class, and naturally love the visual arts, but I personally can get as much emotion out of painting as I can from a piece of music. For example, Renoir (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Auguste_Renoir_-_La_Balan%C3%A7oire.jpg) can make me happy as much as a song.
    I thought people’s comments on whether music affects us all the same or differently ties into our discussion of passions– I don’t know that we can really compare how a particular song affects different people because it is so internal, and there’s really no common ground for basing comparison on. It’s like we’re each speaking a slightly different language, and we might think two words are equivalent, but they have completely different connotations if not meaning.

• McClurken

The class discussion went pretty much as i figured it would. Most people in the world love music or at least listen to it all of the time. Like mentioned in class, music is so easily accessible at all times. Even though i disagreed with most of the arguments that were put forth in class, i do see how they would apply to most people. I guess growing up I wasn’t really around music all that much, and when i was it was with my mom or brother, both of which listened to weird music. However, most of the time i was busy with some other activity. There was a lot of interesting things i picked up during the discussion though. For example, if you practice 10,000 hours in any particular activity you would be considered an expert. When i first heard this i was thinking to myself, no way, but after a little bit i was like well 10,000 hours is a pretty long time and you would really have to be devoted to get that good. In my opinion, someones’ devotion is the key to how successful they are going to be in anything like becoming an expert in an instrument.

• I didn’t feel like the discussion on thursday was as passionate as the others were, but that’s understandable when we go from talking about happiness and success to music. I think that everyone has an opinion about music but not everyone is voicing those opinions in class.

The one thing that was something I disagreed with was that someone said we needed to learn something from listening to music, or it would be best to learn something from listening to music and I don’t believe that we NEED to learn something from music, music is meant to be entertainment.

Would it hurt to learn something from music? No.
    Do we need to? No.

• The discussion we had in class today made me do a lot of thinking. The main reason i listen to music is for entertainment purposes. I listen to a lot of music without lyrics, like Edmund, and i don’t really think it teaches me anything. Knowing that the music i listen to doesn’t teach me anything doesn’t make me want to listen to music that does teach me something. The majority of the music i listen to is techno music. I know that with it only being heavy beats and random sounds it isn’t the most intelligent choice of music, but i wouldn’t choose any other music to listen to if i had to choose one for the rest of my life.

I think the view on how music is created has definitely changed over the years. Music now is just created to hopefully become mainstream for a few weeks and make it on the top hits list. I don’t think anyone or any band will ever be as big as The Beatles are and were. I’m not saying you have to agree with me that no band/singer will ever be as good as The Beatles, but no band/singer will ever have such a long term popularity like them.

• Music is phenomenal in it’s capacity to alter our moods and affect our feelings. I think that we have reached a general consensus about this during the course of our discussion.

I often find myself whistling a tune and I really do believe, now, that it has the power to increase my reasoning skills.

• I just realized my posts have not been showing up. So,

Prepost- We will be discussing “passion” in class today and what it is. We want to know what you all think of passion and how you define it. How do you know when you are “passionate” about something? Also, we will be discussing music and how it affects people differently. Think about these things thoroughly before class:)

Post- I think that our class discussion went very well. Although it wasn’t as controversial as other topics I still felt that it was a intense discussion as times. While some people believe you have to learn through music others believe it is purely entertainment. As for me, I learn new things everyday through music, whether it is about myself, or someone/something else. I still feel like some people are not giving their opinions enough but hopefully they will start opening up on topics they enjoy more. Overall, great job.

• After the conversation on Thursday, I’d say it was pretty clear that people have different perspectives on music and how important is it to them in their personal lives. The point was brought up about how beneficial it is toward society if individuals use music solely as a source of entertainment. I think that someone can use music as entertainment and as much as they want as long as they find ways to be productive as well. I agree with the argument that people should not just be unproductive slobs all day because they are listening to music for entertainment. On the other hand, music is a huge part of some peoples’ lives and this may be a tool that helps individuals be productive throughout their day.

• ODonnell
    Just noticed that my post for our class dicussion never loaded on to this, so here it is:

I thought the discussion in today’s class was not as controversial as the other discussions have been in the past, but that does not mean there was not as much passion behind the discussion. I think in today’s class people had more feelings, passion, and emotion towards the topic compared to other topics because almost everyone can relate to music in one way or another. Almost each person in the class felt that music played an important role in their life. Each classmate agreed on one main thing during the class discussion. Everyone had a passion towards music because it was something that could inspire them. Music is something to people that can cause a change in emotion. Of course, music might have its negatives because of messages that have very little or no meaning behind the words, but that is the choice of the listener.