October 15, 2009 – Hunger, food, and what’s for dinner

1.      Tyler Stewart

2.      Seth Jordan

1.      Kelsey Woehnker

2.      Sean Dacey

3.      Kevin Rinek

SECOND VIDEO
ann_cooper_talks_school_lunches.html

To view the third video, please click link below.

Atricle: http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/09/18/why.overeat.eat.much/index.html?iref=newssearch

Please go to http://www.freerice.com/ and please answer the vocabulary words until you have donated AT LEAST 100 grains of rice.

41 Comments

• O’Donnell
    As a food enthusiast I’m interested to see how this relates to resterauntanarianism. As a conservative, I’m interested to see how much big government is at fault vs. individualism. As a human I think Ann Cooper has an annoying voice. The talks spawn interesting discussion. I strongly recommend the movie Food Inc. It tackles these same topics. About global warming: I’m not sure that presents a pressing concern in the wake of more micro outbursts of disease. As a vegetarian I would like to say I was completely unaware at what a hero I am. Local food is the answer. Distributism!

• Mark Bittman’s talk really surprised me. I would have never figured that by eating less meat and protein would be better for us then when we fill our diets with it. He also discussed the progression of eating habits and the food industry. He had something to say about each generation good and bad. So what is actually the best way to eat? In my opinion no one really knows. When and why did people start to care more about convenience and less about just healthy eating habits, weight and healthy lifestyles. Why is there that progression from healthy and balanced to frozen and fake?

Ann Cooper talks about what the government says is okay to feed kids. But in reality, it is what is exactly killing this generation. It’s interesting to think that they make processed, chemical filled foods “okay” just to save money and provide convenience but aren’t thinking about health and well being of the population. Food choices makes a huggggge difference in everyone’s daily lifestyle. I believe that as long as it’s eaten in a controlled way that some processed or packaged foods are okay but when eaten every day at every meal that’s where the line is crossed.

• Mark Brittman’s statement about protein was interesting because when you lift and your athlete, you want to pack your body with proteins to rebuild your muscles. I guess since your not active athletic at all, too much protein would be bad. The question is do all those diet plans that you see on t.v. are the diet for us? I do agree with Marks statements on the generations about eating.
    Second Video: The food that the government convince parents to get for their children is good. Their just has to be limit to how much your consuming this food that is chemical processed. Making the decision on what should you put in your body is big decision because, it reflects on your daily life. Say all you eat is candy and fast food you wouldn’t be active, you would fat and not want to do anything, since you are just loading your body with bad food. If you follow the food pyramid, your health will be good.

• I liked the first video and i agree with the fact that the way we process and ship meat and what-not is horendous, but I’d be a hypocrite if I went on a rant about how everyone who supported this was a soulless bastard, and I’d be lying if I said that this video is going to change how I go about choosing my foods. But I do believe that we need to change.
    The second video was ok, I wasn’t sure if she was trying to show people the flaws in the food in the school system or if she was trying to promote her Berkley school cafteria system.
    the third video and article really didn’t do anyhing for me. I mean, yea, thats terrible but…

• O’Donnell

The first video at first made me mad. I mean if eating other animals can be bad, what am I supposed to eat? Being a baseball player I believe that protein is the best thing for your muscles which comes from animals. I guess it could be harmful to non-athletes, but who knows. And do you really expect me to switch to organic I don’t think so. One point he does make is that our eating habits tend to get bad, but getting rid of eating animals like cows is not the solution. Eating meat along with fruit and vegetables is just fine. Man has eaten animals since the beginning of time, so I don’t think we need to change.

And to touch on the second video, I have seen some weird foods in the school systems and it wouldn’t hurt to make improvements in all categories.

• O’Donnell

The first video was pretty interesting and kept my attention. I think you can eat anything in moderation and it won’t be bad for you. I never really put much thought into how many animals we eat a year and what it’s doing to our environment. It’s pretty ridiculous how much the portion sizes have changed over the years. It’s probably one of the main causes of obesity in the U.S.

Ann Cooper was, like some people had already said, really annoying and hard to listen to. School lunches used to be really bad. I think the last few years is when they finally started trying to make them better. I know that my school got a salad bar, i heard it’s not very good but it’s a start i guess.

• McClurken

After the first video I wanted to become a vegetarian. After the second I decided our nation as a whole focuses way too much on food. Seriously though, we do focus way too much on what we eat and should be eating, and what is good for you and what is not. Like the first video explained, a long time ago people just ate for the joy of eating and because they simply needed to eat; now we eat because all the sugars they add makes the meal taste that much better. I think the second woman, although eccentric, is great to be trying to bring healthy meals into the school because, in reality, she is indeed correct in saying that we are learning from what we eat at school: corn dogs, pizza, and whatever other crap we ate. She continuously blamed it on the government, though, and I don’t think we should be blaming it on the government but on the parents. I brought my lunch to school every day and, even though I had the choice of goldfish or an apple, my parents would give me goldfish because a) it was easier to pack in the lunchbox and b) it was soo much cheaper. We shouldn’t be placing the blame on one person/body (as in her case, the government), because it is the combination of everything around us that is making us so darn obese!

• McClurken
    This is a great topic, because I am a food lover. It is ridiculous how much coke is consumed in one day. I disagree with Mark Bittman on alot of things, but the fact that he thinks that all we eat is junk food is stupid. Everything in moderation.
    The article was interesting. What they said, and the tips that they gave are great, but how many people are actually going to follow them for an extended period of time? Probably not that many people.
    I think that Ann Cooper is right. There are alot of chemicals and perservatives in just about everything that we eat. The country as a whole needs to eat better, and that needs to start early. I do like her idea about having recess first.

• O’Donnell

I am an advocate for organic and locally grown food. I went 3 months last year eating only organic, local food. I cut out mass-produced everything. It was an exhausting process that taught me how our society cares such a shamefully small amount about fresh, real food.

The idea that animal protein is superior to proteins derived from plants is a myth. There are plenty of athletes on a professional level that are either vegetarian or vegan. You can get all the 20 necessary amino acids found in animal meat in plants.

The statistics that Ann Cooper and Mark Bittman spoke of were alarming.

• The first two videos really went well together. They both said that we have a problem in today’s food industry, and we do. When you really look at the problem seems to have started when instant meals came out. At first they came out as a more of convince like a quick meal so you didn’t have to do much work. You could spend more time with the family and doing the house work. Then that changed, everyone started using them more and more. Now people use them all the time along with other processed foods.
    It has gotten to the point were that’s what people crave and want. People want the fatty processed food over the healthy none processed food (“real” food), which leads into what Ann Cooper was talking about. We have started to teach children, unknowingly, that these foods are better to eat than “real” food.
    I think we need to start teaching more about healthy food and get more “real” food in the schools. We have to start somewhere so why not start here and now not 2 generations from now.

• An interesting stance: this ties into evolution as much as the speakers said it ties into the economy. Should we continue down this path, those who decline to listen to the reason presented in the first two videos will eventually not be able to reproduce because they are dead or incapable of doing so. Whether or not a dietary health issue directly causes their disability or death, it is the ones who eat healthy who will survive in this world.

• As a vegetarian, I enjoyed the first video. I liked how he discussed the fact that a long time ago, people ate because they needed to and they ate simply what he could. Now, people eat and eat, like a hobby almost. The statistics he gave on how many animals people eat a year and such were amazing. I could see how many people would be amazed at that. I never knew being vegetarian could mean so much. Also, I am not advocating that people become vegetarian at all. I do, however, feel like we should not eat quite as much as a whole.

Oh, and Torey, there are many athletes that are vegan and vegetarian. I am an athlete myself. There are many other foods that have protein in them, meat is not the only thing. Example- eggs, dairy, nuts, cheeses, beans, etc etc.

Anyways, I also enjoyed how he discussed the different generations and how eating habits have changed and varied over the years. I feel like the diet has changed so drastically in the past 20 years especially, causing the obesity rate to increase rapidly in the US.

As for the second video, the lady has a great idea on bringing healthier foods into school systems but blaming the government for obesity is bs. The parents have a lot of control on what their children do/do not eat. Schools have both healthier and not so healthy choices and you do have the option to bring your lunch. The government is not the only thing to blame for our obese population. Oh, and a very annoying voice to the speaker. very.

The article was alright. But, really, who is going to do those things? I feel like they are all kind of common sense. People know those tips and all, but it takes a lot to take action.

• O’Donnell

I am interested in learning new facts about food and nutrition, so I thought these Ted talks would be interesting. I found that to be the case with Mark Bittman’s talk, but Ann Cooper’s talk left me cold. As others mentioned before, it was so difficult to watch her talk. It seemed as though she was yelling at me. If one were to really analyze what she was saying, it was really informative. However, this information is lost by her constant ranting.

Mark Bittman’s talk was bearable, but I still thought it was a bit dry. It had a lot of information, and I agree with a lot of his points. I think people are not as healthy today, not because we are not exercising, but it is because of the foods we eat. Even though we are eating vegetables, they are frozen so we do not get the same nutritional benefits as we get from eating fresh vegetables. However, in today’s fast-paced society, it is impossible to eat the way we did hundreds of years ago.

–Stacey Peros

• Donnelly Phillips
    October 14th, 2009 at 7:40 pm

The Mark Bittman video really got me thinking. I love meat. It honestly my favorite food, whatever kind of meat it is. And we’re taught that it supplies us with protein and is an important part of a diet. I never really gave the thought that it would be slightly bad for me, nor have I given much research into animal raising.

Ann Cooper was intriguing as well. Of course it captivated interest; it’s discussing those things we’ve been eating for 12 years. I thought it just that doing something more natural would be way out of line price wise. Based on the figures she gave, it’s unclear as to why we have not done some switching around and pooling our efforts toward more natural food.

And the whole situation with countries starving is ridiculous, especially since we have people eating themselves away over here.

• O’Donnell
    I thought the first talk was really interesting as most people had said. The statistics he put out there were rather surprising, especially the environmental damage livestock can be causing. As out population grows we will consume more meat which will lead to more pollution due to the excess methane produced. Its interesting that most environmentalists don’t usually stress any of these stats and focus on fossil fuel pollution instead. I suppose an issue dealing with the primary food of most Americans would be a hard one to tackle. But its definitely some thing to keep in mind while making choices about what you may want to buy from the grocery store. I definitely think that a balance of fruit vegetables and meat can lead to a healthy lifestyle. I agree that the second talk was hard to follow, but we have all had our own unique experiences with school lunches so its always interesting to hear another point of view.

• Well I feel a lot better about eating half of my meat at dinner and sneakily throwing the rest to my dog. I always knew too much red meat was bad for you, but I didn’t really realize how much meat I actually consumed until I thought about it. I have it in my lunch meats, eat it for dinner, and when I actually eat breakfast there is always sausage and bacon! The poor mass quantities of piggies and cows! Now this man is telling me that the sheer number of animals we have as livestock just to kill fart and ruin the planet!? My word, that is pretty gross. He also brought up the time when you didn’t eat carbs and low fat diets etc, you ate FOOD. I wish it was that simple. Every day at seaco I remind myself I better pick water, and hardly ever do. There are the healthy vegetables, but I never pick them.
    I really like the freerice vocab game. My senior year I had lunch study with my English teacher and she gave extra credit to whoever submitted the most rice. I like that its not only beneficial to people who get the rice, but also to the kids who play it- by increasing their vocabulary.
    I didn’t realize that by staying up late I was making myself fat. That kinda sucks. I am going to bed.

• McClurken

Though the first video was a bit hyperbolic at times, he brought up interesting points, and made me look at my own decisions regarding food. It reminded me at one point (I think it was when he showed the picture of the cow) of something I once heard: a cheetah looks at a cow and sees food. When a human sees a cow, he goes up to it and moos. That’s why we aren’t meant to eat meat. I think that his most important message is to take responsibility for what you eat and for your own choices. He talked about how we’re now developing a philosophy of food, but I think that it’s more that we’re becoming conscious of it. Really, I think that the major problem with food today is that it’s becoming (or already is) unnatural and removed from the source. Another talk on this, although from a slightly different perspective (we’re going to be watching it next week) is Louise Fresco’s on Feeding the Whole World: http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/louise_fresco_on_feeding_the_whole_world.html

Ann Cooper’s video was kind of inspiring, in all that she’s done for the schools she’s in charge of, but I don’t know how much we can apply those principles across the board. There are trade-0ffs for every decision, and I think that both of these speakers neglect the alternatives and the reasoning why someone would choose to buy packaged food. It does free up lots more time. I personally like to eat “real” food, so I cook from scratch, but I can understand valuing your time more for something else.

The food price crisis is an issue that’s important to me, but a more recent video or article could have been found. This one isn’t bad: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=has-the-food-crisis-abated . I thought that there could have been more explanation of the causes of the food price crisis, because that’s really interesting and I hope we discuss it in class.

• I thought the first video was interesting about how food consumption has evolved from simple foods being cooked in the home to a mass variety of foods that are a convenience to people to get through busy lives. The food industry is an important topic to discuss because it is effecting the environment and individual peoples health. The second video I thought was a little boring but also another important issue that needs to be addressed because school food is terrible. My high school only really offered junk food that appealed to kids and they recently put a salad bar in a year before but never saw a student pay to get a salad. The thing in the article I thought was interesting was that lack of sleep can cause weight gain because of metabolic changes.

• McClurken

Surprisingly, these talks made me very hungry. Maybe it is because i haven’t sleep much recently. I found that very interesting that lack of sleep makes you over eat, never would of guessed that. Going along with what a lot of other people said, as an athlete i have always been told to eat a lot of protein. Never knowing that this was actually bad for you. I guess when I think about it, it all makes since, but still it’s saddening to know i have been being unhealthy all of this time! Also, there is all this talk about how we are ruing the world with all of the global warming. Nice to know that it is all the cows fault…I also really like the lunch lady’s argument about how they don’t serve good enough food in cafaterias. It is very interesting that she only serves organic food. Just gives something to ponder on for possibilites in our future

• I thought that this video and this topic is very interesting. I have seen the movie Food Inc. and found it eye opening. The videos bring up very good points are far as the damaging effects of certain aspects of the food industry. I don’t know if I can agree with everything in the video, but I guess that’s what will be discussed in class. It should be interesting to see how others feel about this topic because it is not a general discussion topic and many people do not follow this sort of issue very closely. I look forward to having this discussion in class and seeing where it leads our conversation.

• Overall I enjoyed this talk, I love food and I know I don’t always eat healthy but like we said most people go for convenience over what’s healthy. Like I said in my previous comment I’m probably not going to change the way I eat.

• McClurken

Good discussion today, as I said before, we are so concerned with food, it’s ridiculous. We do really cherish meat and giving it up would be extremely difficult for us as a country to do. It is for sure not the government’s fault that we are getting fatter, but our parent’s faults for not giving us healthier foods to take to school. It is our decision to change the future, our burden to make our population skinnier. We are responsible for our own lifestyles, not the government, not even our parents, but we have to choose how we want to live.

Long live cow-udder ketchup.

• Speaking of school lunches I think it is essentially the kids choice of what they want to eat for lunch. It’s not necessarily that schools don’t have healthy foods, it’s just that the kids most always choose the unhealthy option I think that it also has to do with how the kids were raised. I know that when someone’s forced to do something, it makes them not want to do it. My mom forced me to eat a lot of healthy food when I was younger. Which eventually made me enjoy unhealthy food even more. When I would go out, I knew that I wouldn’t be able to eat fast food type food at home so it gave me a bigger incentive to get it when I was out. I guess it’s kinda reflected on how I am now. It’s mainly up to the parents on teaching their children to want to eat a balance of healthy food because it’s essential for their diet. My mom still encourages me to eat healthy but I choose not to because I like the food that I eat now and I don’t like trying new foods.

When speaking of fast food, the majority of the time I go out to eat would be to converse or “catch up” with friends. I don’t actually buy fast food on my way home from work or anything like that. I think of fast food as just a way that brings people together. I find that it’s so much easier to meet at some restaurant than to invite people over to your house and cook up a gourmet meal to serve.

Overall I think the discussion went pretty well and made me do a lot of thinking. It was pretty interesting hearing everyone else’s favorite food or comfort food. I would have never guessed that fruit would be someone’s favorite food just because that’s not a regular part of my diet. Although, I do love Nutella, along with Ashlee. I ate that a lot when I lived in Belgium and I still eat it a lot when I go home. If I bought bread to college with me I definitely would have Nutella too.

Although I know I do not have a balanced, healthy diet, I don’t see myself changing that anytime soon. It kinda goes along with someone’s responsibility to keep themselves healthy.

• Today’s discussion was really good. I mean, we didn’t really establish anything- and right after class I went to the vending machine and got a Dr. Pepper (no lay’s this time :/ ) but I think it really is good to discuss what the issues are. I must agree with Felicia that its the fault of the parents for not giving us healthier foods- but also the government makes it pretty hard to come across TRUELY healthy foods. The understanding I think we came to was that to eat healthier, we are going to have to be willing to spend the money on the more expensive healthy food-however, just like Felicia’s class came to the conclusion, people are NOT willing to spend their money on eating healthier. Which is ironic because later on you are going to pay for those unhealthy choices- in super size me what did you guys say? it took 5 years off his life? I don’t doubt that.

for me- I accept my fate for the delicious Mcdonalds.

and yes- long live cow-udder ketchup. 😀

• O’Donnell

Childhood obesity in the US is a major problem. I know because my mom has been working on legeslation in the National and state gov’t to adress the issues that cause obesity. One point that Ann Cooper makes is that the poor families with kids can’t afford healthy food. Many who live in the city with no car can’t get to a grocery store so they get food from places like 7-11. Ann Cooper also mentioned having schools grow gardens. In Madison and Orange couties they have done this.

• O’Donnell

I thought today’s talk was interesting, though it did not really reach a conclusion. I thought the discussion leaders did a really good job with trying to get as many people involved in the discussion as possible. Our discussion varied from school lunches to the correlation between poverty and nutrition. Personally, I believe that both the government and parents are responsible for the horrible condition of school lunches. Parents are responsible because they could give their children healthy lunches from home. However, some parents do not have the time to pack a lunch, so in that case, the government should be more responsible in providing more healthy choices for school lunches.

I think that it is more convenient for poor people to go to McDonald’s. Of course, they can always buy a can of beans, but getting a McDonald’s meal for a dollar is probably more filling than a can of beans. This is another problem with our society. I think if there were healthier and cheaper options that would fill people up, we would not have the problem of obesity among the poor.

–Stacey Peros

• McClurken

Class discussion went well, I never realized that we spend more money being healthy than, being unhealthy. I guess that’s what you get when you have a dollar menu at your favorite fast food restaurant. Myself I am like a vacuum when it comes to food, because I can eat anything. Our food habits start off with our parents, but while we grow we start having our on food habits, due to commercials and watching how other people eat.

• O’Donnell
    We need more farmers! Why is healthy, fresh plant food so expensive compared to disturbingly unhealthy meals like what McDonalds puts together? Chain grocery stores are a business, and try to reap as much profit as possible. Our produce is shipped all over the country because less than 2% of our population actually farms. If we had a farm in or at least near every community, we could eat local, fresh food that would not be so expensive. Our food is also so expensive because everyone assumes they should be able to get strawberries anytime of the year. Seasonal produce is less expensive. At every farmer’s market I have ever been to, you can buy a dozen ears of corn for around 5 dollars tops. So rather than use your $7/day on McDonalds, in the summer you could buy 2 ears of corn for about a dollar, drink plenty of water for free (from water fountains if you had to), get a summer squash for less than a dollar, apricots are somewhere around half a dollar apiece, and you can buy a whole loaf of whole grain bread for around 3 dollars. Then you could supplement with beans for protein. I think that the reason we decided Fast Food is such a domination is because of the availability. We need more farms so real food is just as available.

Let’s get a UMW garden going.

• McClurken

Today’s discussion went well. One thing that was brought up was that we spend more being healthy than being unhealthy. Which is true, but I have to wonder why. Wouldn’t it make more sense to have the processed and packed food cost more than the food that is grown in the ground. Another thing brought up was a we as Americans do consume a lot of meat. The question is how much is to much? Athletes need a lot of meat but what would the average American need? Over all it was a good discussion and this topic could be explored further.

• O’Donnell
    Today’s discussion was excellent. We even agreed on a neoconservative sentiment that poor people aren’t a victim of their surroundings. I agree with this. So much so that I yelled ‘cop out’ in the middle of class. Beans may not be exciting, but they get the job done for less than the dollar menu price. As for variety, they have quite a few things at grocery stores.
    It’s interesting how food goes in cycles. The poor eat unhealthy, but complicated food while the rich focus on organic, healthy, simple food. We pay for simplicity, which isn’t the way it should be. Agrarianize the country and become regionally-sufficient and people will be healthier, happier and spending more money on domestic food.
    We didn’t get to talk about the restaurant business. It really is a business. I work as a cook downtown and the last thing chefs care about is your health. They push ‘specials’ as anything that’s getting old and my chef is one of the more honest I’ve been around.
    Food should not be a business. It is unethical to monopolize any necessity, so just like in most areas, the free market should be king of foodland. Get rid of the USDA and all of its under the table dealings and let farmers decide whats best for their farms. Then our mouths can decide whats best for ourselves. Then America can stop being fat. Except for Michael Moore.

• My theory is that people are going to eat what they want to eat and what tastes good. We can educate as many people as we can about healthy foods but no one can force anyone to change their eating habits, it is solely up to them. People just like the convenience and cheapness of unhealthy, packaged, processed, and fast foods. Unless healthy foods can become more convenient and/or cheaper nothing is going to significantly change.

• McClurken

I think that the point we made today about healthy food being more expensive is actually the key to the problem of our collective health: many people can’t afford to buy organic or other healthy options, so it’s not a matter of choice. But as was pointed out, the preservatives and other “bad stuff” makes the food cheaper: it lasts longer and can be mass-produced either. So the problem is something more fundamental, and I’m personally not sure how to change this. Maybe something along the lines of a “fat tax” is in order. But I’m not sure that Americans would accept this. I think that we should perhaps combine this with subsidies for healthier alternatives, so that we can make these affordable for all.

• I think we came to the conclusion today that healthy food is simply not as convienent and cheap as unhealthy foods. The obesity has come from choice, but also from culture. Americans spend so much time at work and running around with their kids and such that they no longer have time to make dinner as a family with healthier foods.

Living in Europe my whole life I never saw this problem. Healthy foods were not as much of a problem because fast food is not as popular in the first place. At Mcdonalds they serve various salads, crepes, potatos, etc. rather than hamburgers and french fries only. Also, the portion sizes tend to be much smaller and spread out more. I don’t know how to decrease the obesity rate in America, but we have to find a way. The government can do little things, but I feel like it is completely up to the individual.

Anyways, the group did great! The leaders did a good job of including everyone and bringing up controversial ideas in order to bring out beliefs from everyone.

• O’Donnell
    I thought the discussion we had was a very successful one. At first I didn’t really think food could be a controversial issue but like Ashley said the discussion leaders did a great job of bringing us questions to keep the discussion going. As for our conversation about poor people and their ability to maintain a healthy diet I really believe that our beliefs and positions were clouded by our privileged lifestyles. I dont believe that all poor people are victims of their surroundings but its also not as easy to get out of those lving conditions as we might expect. Many americans believe as long as you work hard you will be successful and for many people this isn’t true. Single mothers or fathers often work several jobs just to provide what they can for their children and food is just one resource they have to worry about. What about housing, clothing, or electricity? If the average american barely has enough time to make a decent meal for their family how is a single parent supposed to do it between their multiple jobs? They have to buy what they can afford which is often not the healthies choice for their family. Even if they did eat canned bean all the time this would not provide all the nutrients needed, and would be just as bad as eating meat all the time because it would provide so much extra protein. And fresh food is even more expensive and takes so long to prepare. So although eating a healthy diet on a budget might be possible, with a large family and little spare time it wouldn’t be as easy a you think.
    Otherwise the talk was awesome and everyone did a great job of contributing their opinoins.

• O’Donnell
    I thought the discussion we had was a very successful one. At first I didn’t really think food could be a controversial issue but like Ashley said the discussion leaders did a great job of bringing us questions to keep the discussion going. As for our conversation about poor people and their ability to maintain a healthy diet I really believe that our beliefs and positions were clouded by our privileged lifestyles. I don’t believe that all poor people are victims of their surroundings but its also not as easy to get out of those lving conditions as we might expect. Many americans believe as long as you work hard you will be successful and for many people this isn’t true. Single mothers or fathers often work several jobs just to provide what they can for their children and food is just one resource they have to worry about. What about housing, clothing, or electricity? If the average American barely has enough time to make a decent meal for their family how is a single parent supposed to do it between their multiple jobs? They have to buy what they can afford which is often not the healthiest choice for their family. Even if they did eat canned bean all the time this would not provide all the nutrients needed, and would be just as bad as eating meat all the time because it would provide so much extra protein. And fresh food is even more expensive and takes so long to prepare. So although eating a healthy diet on a budget might be possible, with a large family and little spare time it wouldn’t be as easy a you think.
    Otherwise the talk was awesome and everyone did a great job of contributing their opinions.

• Oh Donnell…

It was really rockin’ sauce. It felt hard to get in there to contribute, though. Of course, that might have been just for me. Once again, whenever I got my thoughts straight in my head, the discussion moved on. Lesson 1: be aggressive. Lesson 2: come with pre-thought thoughts thought out…if that makes enough sense…if any…

…BACK to the point of this comment, we are definitely NOT treating food the way it needs to be. The way it’s being grown and made. We do have the tools to eat healthier, we just need to go out and start. I think that there are ways to eat healthier for a cheap price some way or another. It might take some searching and even a bit of preparation, but you get what you work and pay for, right?

I also guess that we should not turn to food for our comfort. I think a couple people made this point, but we should find other sources for happiness. I mean, everyone HAS to have a favorite food, but we do not need to eat it for comfort purposes.

Let us hope for mighty discussion next class!

• McClurken
    I think that no matter what the health precautions and such are, and no matter how bad or oily the food gets, there will always be someone who loves it and eats it all the time. The example of Supersize Me was perfect because it showed how the effect of eating fast food in general is. Morgan Spurlock gained 24.5 pounds in 1 month. That is ridiculous.
    We have to make sure that we are in control of our own diets. No one else is to blame. We need to start learning how to eat the right way from an early age.

• McClurken

We got into some pretty tough questions. I still think that you cannot blame the government for the health of the children. If the parents really cared that much, they could easily supply their children with healthy food. I think people, at least at a certain age, understand how bad the food they eat is. However, most of the people do not care if it is good as long as they like it. Like said in class, a lot of people eat when they are bored because they have nothing else to do. I know this is true for me because i love food and eat a lot more then i should. Overall i think the talk began to go off topic at times but the leaders did a good job at trying to bring it back on subject.

• This class discussion was the first to really affect me. I’ve started eating more plants now and I find that they are quite enjoyable. It’s really just more healthy for me. I realize the difference is mostly in the oils, I’m very against oil in my food, and grease is pretty gross.

I still feel that if you can’t eat “right” and your health suffers because of it then that is simply evolution at work. Those who can feed themselves and survive will always win.

• I think our discussion went well today.
    Seth and i kept to the topic and pushed the discussion back on course when it went off on a tangent.
    We came up with that you can not blame the government for what kids eat to an extint.
    For some kids who dont have time to make lunch or what not, there needs to be a wider variety of healthier foods. Especailly because of the growing number of over wieght youth.
    We can make this better by spending our money where it needs to be spent.
    so im not saying spend more money im saying spend it wiser

• I believe that the discussion we had to this day was fairly good as we talked mainly about what kids eat in their school lunches. I feel as though kids should learn at an earlier age what the effects of poor diet does to a person much earlier in life. When I was younger I was the kid that ate everything in sight and had no reason to stop. I didn’t know there was food that was bad for you or that soda was awful. If I thought it tasted good, most likely I ate it. But, once I found out what that type of eating does to you and how eating healthier makes you feel I realized I should eat much better. Like Tyler said we should spend money in the right places to teach kids how to eat healthier and make the right choices so those choices stick with them well into the future.