October 20, 2009 – The coming apocalypse: The decline and fall

McClurken Videos:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/sciencenow/3318/01-video-cosm-q-300.html

McClurken Articles:

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/2007-03-27-maya-2012_n.htm

http://www.universetoday.com/guide-to-space/asteroids/asteroid-hitting-earth/

http://www.wikihow.com/Survive-a-Super-Comet-Hitting-Earth

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/secrets/previous_seasons/case_plague/index.html

FAQ on Global Warming: http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/globalwarming.html

1.      Katie Kutnak
2.      Chris Roos

1.      Torey Mancari
2.      James Fitch

44 Comments

• O’Donnell’s Class
    Hey watch these videos and read the articles for Tuesday’s talk
    Videos:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyCCd8MCcZY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7W-BePJOLbw

Articles to read:
    http://greyfalcon.us/Theories%20on%20Disasters%20and%20Armageddon.htm

• McClurken

Jared Diamond was an interesting choice for the video, but I think he’s perfect: he’s so fatalistic. But his arguments often bother me because they overemphasize one aspect and neglect everything else. He never acknowledges other sides to an issue, such as that people can change and alter their environments unlike bacteria. He doesn’t focus enough on how we can predict which societies will collapse rather than just analyzing them in hindsight, so it’s not really that useful. Petranek’s offering of solutions made his talk more effective. My major problem with his talk was when he was talking about colonizing other planets, because as he said, the west (who, let’s face it, will be the ones leading any colonization in the near future) have shown themselves to completely destroy any other civilizations they come into contact with. I think we need to learn how to take care of our own planet before we find others to destroy. I also wonder how practical many of his solutions are, because they involve a lot of money and I’m not sure where that’s going to come from.

With the articles, it made me realize how much we love to obsess over the end of the world. I think the 2012 obsession and the belief that indigenous wisdom will solve all the world’s problems is not necessarily true– many of their societies collapsed (as Diamond pointed out), so how can they solve all our problems when they couldn’t even solve their own? I look forward to class tomorrow!

• O’Donnell

Enjoyed Diamond’s and Petranek’s speeches and the “How to Survive a Super Comet Hitting Earth” the most. I do not believe that the end of the Mayan calendar signifies anything to do with natural disaster culminating in mass extinction of our species at the exact time of 11:11. It’s just another example of industry playing on fear, a master manipulator in many people’s lives. I agree with Petranek in that as a proactive society, we need to invest more resources in solving said issues that can be our demise (that are reversible) and perchance use a little less money to make movies like 2012.

• All the videos I enjoyed, they shared very interesting information. The first video when he stated that societies fail to solve or perceive their problems in what they are doing to the environment. I think people in society know what they are doing, but do not care they are to lazy to solve the problem. That’s why a society can collapse and never recover from it. The second video, caught my attention when he was talking about how many people are depressed in our society. The whole power point that he presented consisted of a lot of interesting facts. Patranek talking about the proactive society, us as people need to come to a solution on said issues that can be fixed, instead on wasting money. I am looking forward to see how tomorrows talk is going to go.

• ok I disliked the first video, alot. He was boring wierd looking and i felt like what he had to say didnt affect my stand or the topic much.
    The second video was farely boring again, but there were you a few points he had that i found interesting.
    The fact that the magnetic poles are going to switch is very interesting. I didnt know that even after i did a large project on it in physics, but i believe him.
    Another good point that he had was about how there is a 1 in 20000 chance of us getting killed by an astoroid. And that we spend wayyyyy more money on trying to make airplanes safer than stopping asteroids, but there is more chance of dying by asteroid than by plane.
    I think that some of these older scares, like the mayan calender saying we are all gona die dec 24 2012, aint gona happen. I agree with what Maggie said.
    Tyler Stewart

• patranek made a good point when he said that we need to be a proactive society and spend money on important things, not dumb stuff.

i enjoyed reading the article on the maya calendar and 2012 and all that, did i believe any of it? no. it was just interesting to read.

i have no idea where this talk is going to go tomorrow and i do not particularly find this to be as “attractive” as the other talk topics that we have had. we’ll see.

• Donnelly Phillips
    October 19th, 2009 at 7:48 pm

O’Donnell

I totally agree with Diamond’s view. In the words of a fortune cookie I got as I walked out of Seacobeck a half-hour ago, “The best prophet of the future is the past.” I also agree with what milkman said. Whoever you are, milkman, I do believe that people of today are lazy. As mentioned in the second video, people are too absorbed in their lives to try to fix today’s problems in the world. It really is going to start affecting their lives if it keeps going on like this.

• I feel that people place too much emphasis on the world ending. People believe that the world is going to end in May 2012, but I thought that was just as far as the Mayans predicted. This is just another 2000, when the whole y2k craze was going on and nothing happened. It does frighten me a little bit but I do not think it’s something we really need to worry about. As for Jared Diamond, I found him very dull and boring but what he said about how societies can’t solve their problems about environmental issues seems to be very relavent to today as well as we are very conscious of what we are doing to the environment but fail to change much. Petranek’s video on the top ten ways that earth may end was extremely compelling and sounded pretty well researched. Even though his talk was really long I found myself engaged the whole time. Some of his ideas seemed pretty far fetched such as ailens taking us over but some were very possible. The atoms colliding and the asteroid hitting earth, really suck with me since I have heard them before. I feel as though his talk is going to cause a lot of controversy in class.

• O’Donnell

I agree with the previous comment about not knowing where this topic is heading tomorrow. It is a different topic and not as generic as the previous ones. I personally think this will be a very interesting discussion or the discussion will fall flat. I think the discussion leaders will be responsible for the participation and success of the discussion.

I agree with Maggie in the fact that 2012 is just a myth. Even though it might be an established date in the Mayan calendar, I do not believe anything will happen on that day. It is just another media hype like Y2K, to give people something to talk about. Even though most historians are certain about the date on the Mayan calendar, I personally believe that we do not have enough evidence to prove that the world will end that day.

I do agree with both speakers, and I do believe that we should invest more time and money in strategies to prevent damage to the Earth by comets and the like. Just as it was stated in one of the articles, we already have the technology to figure out if a comet were to hit the Earth, now we just need to convince our government that it is an important issue which should not be overlooked.

==Stacey Peros

• I thought Stephen Petraneks and Jaren Diamond’s videos were very interesting. There are endless possibilities of how the world could end. Through natural disasters or because of some man-made abomination, it is scary to think about how the earth will end. The issue that scares me the most is global pandemic. With solar flares and asteroid threats, I thought the colonization of Mars is a great idea. I agree with Laura though, I don’t know where the human race will come up with the money to finance the campaign to Mars when there are other issues on Earth that need to be tended to. The thing we need to ask ourselves is, will the human race rally together and set aside hatreds in time of need or will it disband and still be divided allowing earth to come to an end.

I also do not believe that the end of the Mayan calendar signifies mass extinction of the human race. The Mayan Civilization is extinct, they were very advanced for their time period but if they were so intellectual why is there civilization not thriving today?

• *The first video was really interesting. I have no idea what he is talking about but I like listening to him talk about his checklist. He is hard to follow, but I like his voice- I don’t think I really learned anything from this video. The correlation between past societies that collapse and why they collapse and how they depraved the natural resources is kind of scary- we are bacteria! Laura is right, he is really pessimistic, but he doesn’t talk about predicting the collapse, just what happens when they collapse. Which is pretty useless. Hilarious that he is talking about how we don’t see what we are doing- but we think its crazy that societies of the past didn’t stop in time to not collapse. Hopefully this time around its different and we are not heading to the end of the United States
    *The second video has horrible sound quality, which is unfortunate because I have a headache. I like his cute little image of scientists after work talking about the end of the world and science-ie things. It scares me though him talking about how they just sat down and BOOM- they have ways for the world to end! I like being in denial, it’s a lot less scary then figuring out how the world is going to end. I do hope that he gets the money to fix all these problems. He had really good visuals. The movie didn’t draw from what he was saying but helped me to ponder what he was saying. Except he is really scaring me- I really don’t like thinking about this! Last year I remember the particle accelerator that everyone was scared of and it didn’t do anything- so I feel like he is freaking out over nothing. Colonizing other planets reminds me of my friend Carrie, who is pretty eccentric, plans on being a space doctor. I don’t really think we should start planning our future based on the possibility of space colonization.
    *The youtube video is like, a what if kinda question. It didn’t happen, I guess thats luck- but I feel like if Jupiter keeps saving us thats it purpose. It seems like jupiter is just the gateway for planet earth to exist.
    *The PBS movie is really cool. It makes me really want to lay out and look at the stars for a while. Just think about time and space and what we are really seeing and the time at which that light was created from. It boggles my mind, but I love thinking about it.
    *The first reading about the mayan calendar is stupid. How many times have we predicted the end of the world? and honestly, do you really think that the Mayans could have continued creating a calendar for all eternity- I am sure the Mayan scribe writing it was like, okay enough! I can’t write anymore! Who are the Mayan’s to predict the end of the world? You may as well go into a grave yard and play with a Quiji board. oh no! the world is ending!
    *The second reading just makes me think why can’t we just cross this bridge when we get to it? We are going to have enough time to figure out what to do- necessity breads invention.
    *The third reading is cute. I feel prepared?
    *The fourth reading is just pointless. I guess it reminds me of that show “the colony” where they pretend that everyone dies from a virus or something that a few people are immune to.

the whole notion seems pretty pointless to worry about. I am a pretty come what may person. If I think too much about this stuff I am going to scare myself. Nothing bad has happened yet- hopefully it happens after I die I suppose.

• McClurken
    This is a rather interesting topic. The world is probably not going to end in 2012. If an asteroid hits the earth, there is going to be nothing that we can do about it. In the first movie, the guy has to realize that what is going to happen is going to happen. There is no way possible to solve all of the environmental “problems.” However, some of the problems that we have are man-mad, and we have to do our best to try and stop the progression of these problems.
    The second movie was a little weird. Colonizing the milky way, seems like an incredible way to…make new friends…? It is insane that you are more likely to be killed by an asteroid, than a natural disaster. The fact that it is not last is kind of odd. The third movie was interesting, but there is no definite data. None of this could ever happen. There might never be another asteroid to hit the earth.

• There are so many theories about whether the world is going to end in 2012 but I don’t believe that is true. I really don’t see how these theorists can come up with something like that. Are there certain things that we can do to stop tragedies from happening? Are there signs that can help us predict or prevent this events? Stephan Petranek made a interesting point about how we should be more proactive and spend money on more significant things rather then petty matters.

• I agree with pretty much everyone on the fact that tomorrow will be VERY interesting on where this discussion goes and how it goes. I feel like the discussion leaders will have a lot to do with it. There really are SO many theories on how the world will end, and truthfully I have no belief on it or even a slight idea. I do not necessarily believe that aliens or machines are going to take over but I am not sure I fully believe anything other than that either. The 2012 theory of the world ending, in my opinion, is complete bs; but really, noone will know until then.
    And about Mars; could that really happen?

Anyways, I am really interested to see where this goes tomorrow. Since I do not have much of an opinion on this yet I am excited to see where the discussion leads me.

• http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/80beats/2009/10/19/cutting-edge-science-reveals-world-wont-end-on-december-21-2012/

won’t happen!

• (McClurken)
    Sorry this is late.

So I spent the entire first video tryingto figure out what accent Diamond had, I found out that he is american but Polish-Jewish and he speaks a dozen different languages so its probably some of that all mixed together. when I wasn’t doing that I was trying to figure out if he was trying to warn us of a coming apocalypse or giving us a history lesson. I wasn’t a fan of his talk. I really enjoyed the second and third videos because I fully believe that an asteroid can hit the earth and destroy life as we know it. Even if we lived it’ll change everything. I also think that there is another planet out there that we can’t see that possibly has more intelligent life than us and believe that if they do find us kharma will kick our asses and they will use and abuse us like we did to other more primitive civilizations. The readings were informative and all but most of them told us what the videos already said. I did enjoy the one about the plague.

I think this discussion will be quite interesting

• oh also i don’t believe in the whole 2012 bull. I’m just gonna continue to live my life and if by some act of god it does happen I’ll deal with it then. Personally i don’t think that the Myan’s could have predicted this way back when. Not going to happen.

• McClurken

The first guy said something along the lines of our main problem is coming from what is the source of our power. I feel this is true not only for the united states, but for most countries. For example, in China they are something like 40% of the world’s coal users, which is also their flaw because of all the air contamination that the burning of this coal is causing. There are so many people that think the world is going to end in 2012, I think this is ridiculous, I mean it is very coincidental that the mayans have predicted all of that stuff but there is no way that the world is going to end then. However I do feel that we are going to bring the wold to an end with all of our bad habits. I also think that we are given false information by the government about how much time we have left if we keep going at the rate we are. I have heard as early as like 50 years we will run out of resources, which could be true, i’m no proffessional i just see it highly unlikely. But i guess this just shows that I could be completely blind like most of the population

• O’Donnell
    I believe our biggest threat to the destruction of earth is ourselves. I agree with Ashley that the world is not going to end because of something crazy like aliens or rogue robots. I think pollution and our over use of resources are the biggest threat to our world. As others have said history is an important part of understanding how to prevent something like this from happening. With so many theories of how the world will end I think the discussion tomorrow will prove to be quite interesting.

• I am SO sorry this is so late, I completely forgot about it. If aliens were to invade the earth, I would be the first to go. Seriously, though, I don’t really believe in stuff like the Mayan civilization and the world coming to an end in 2012. Many people today probably think that is stupid to believe that, too, but I’m sure they are the same people that thought the world was going to explode at midnight on December 31, 1999. I do think that something more along the lines of the sun imploding then exploding would be more appropriate than aliens attacking, though. Meh, I don’t really know, my opinion is lacking because I simply do not know. Sure, there could be other life out there and we are not nearly advanced enough to see it, but, really, does it affect us right now? Not really, no.

• O’Donnell

I guess McClurken means O’Donnell. The videos were interesting, especially the one about all the ways we could die. It’s fascinating how science evolves, but I’m not sure I can trust it when it changes so much. Not solving the problems at hand can be traced back to being greedy and self-serving in the political sphere, refusing to sacrifice votes for working on the future. Near-sightedness will run us into a pole. Or asteroid. If we do die out I hope it isn’t by human means. That would be embarrassing for the life that finds us.

• O’Donnell

I wasn’t that interested or “attracted” to any of the videos on this topic. This might be due to the simple fact that I truthfully am not knowledgeable about the subject matter of “2012”. I have never believed in the Mayan beliefs and the creation of the Mayan calendar and how it is predicting the future. I don’t believe in the world coming to an end the way that the Mayan’s believe, but I might just be naive and unwilling to face the devastating truth of everything around me coming to an end and the population being wiped out. I really enjoyed reading the articles because I was able to learn more about the subject. The idea of the earth experiencing a major change on 12/21/12 at 11:11 to the effect that the whole population will be wiped out via natural disaster, wwIII, or a pole shift causing ice caps to melt honestly is something that I cannot fathom. I really can’t wait to hear what people’s opinions are on the apocalypse and the world ending, because I don’t believe in any of it.

• O’Donnell

I find the subject on 2012 pretty interesting. I like to hear people’s opinions on why they think it’s true and what they think is going to happen. I don’t really believe any of it but that might be because i haven’t read much into it. I’m curious to think that it might be like another Y2K thing, but i guess we’ll see. I like to think about (if the world would actually end in 2012) how we would all die because i don’t find any of it believable.

Although i don’t believe in any of this stuff actually happening, i do enjoy listening to other people’s opinions that think this it IS going to happen. This should be an interesting talk tomorrow, or today…

(Sorry this is so late.)

• Today’s talk I thought went pretty well. Talking about this was pretty creepy as I wouldn’t know what to if I found out the world was ending. The one thing I think we didn’t cover was Nostradomus and his predictions as he was very accurate in his predictions. If we have a epidemic from disease, I would wonder if it would end the world quickly or just kill a bunch of people and live some to start over again, as they did during the Black Plaque. I still think that the asteroid is the most likely way our world will end, followed closely by world war 3. I don’t like to think about this as I have too much fun living but I guess it’s important to discuss if we want to prevent it.

• So today’s talk was kinda depressing but very interesting. I think it this topic is so interesting because noone really knows how the world is going to end. Any way you look at it, its not going to be fun, quite frankly it’ll suck, hard.

Good discussion though

• I guess thinking about it we are going to self-destruct. Aliens being capable of intergalactic transportation is a bit much. I understand that there is maybe/probably life outside of earth, especially with the copious amounts of planets out there in the galaxy, but I don’t think that the life on these other planets is capable of coming to earth let alone realizing the existence of earth. Even if they did, are they that interested in earth or more interested with other life on other planets. I don’t really know what I would do if I found out the world was ending except tell myself that it must be happening for a reason. It is hard to think about this stuff, and it makes me realize why so many people rely on faith. Without that guarantee of something more its hard to think about the end. Over all, a really depressing talk, and I think that we should take measures to prevent such catastrophes. Take a few dollars here and there out of government budgets and put together a fund to really pay more attention to the protection and revitalization of our planet.

• It’s interesting to think about the world ending one day and how or why it would. Personally, I think that it will be caused by the implications of our own actions from generation to generation. If through the years animals are becoming more and more extinct then what stops us from gradually dying off too? For example, from a horrible, fast spreading pandemic. It’s kinda crazy to put the world ending due to astroids into perspective and becoming more likely then airplane crashes. That seems crazy to me! As stated in the discussion, I just hope this all occurs after I die. Although, we should all be doing everything in our power to avoid any potential worldly disasters for generations to come. But to what extent can we do that? Are we capable now of potentially saving the world?

• Today’s class discussion freaked me out, due to the fact that we were talking about the world ending. It is though very interesting to talk about the world ending since we have no clue when and how the world is ever going to end. I do agree with Seths’ comment in class today about the other civilization that could be out there, I believe their is one but they are too far away to even be discovered. Another topic that caught my attention is colonizing planets, what would life be like if some of us moved to Mars? Parts of me did like today’s discussion, but I don’t really want to talk about it again.

• Todays discussion I felt was probably the worst in terms of coming to any conclusion, being lead in the least, and people being at all interested. Noone seemed to want to share their opinions or noone even had any. I was kind of disappointed considering this talk was one I was looking forward to. I came out of the discussion still feeling completely clueless to what I believe. Really, we talked about swine flu more than anything. I have no opinion and took nothing out nof the discussion other than the fact that 800+ kids have swine flu in the US right now.

• O’Donnell

I agree with Ashlee’s comment. Though I was not too excited about the topic, I still expected more from this discussion. It was more of a discussion about swine flu. I was expecting to hear more in depth thoughts about the end of the world, when it will be, how it will happen, and if there is a way to prepare ourselves for the end of the world. I still hold true to my belief that the world will not end in 2012 because I just do not believe that there is enough evidence to support this theory.

–Stacey Peros

• Though today’s discussion was interesting, I found it hard to even conceptualize the end of the world. I could imagine the build-up to any of the scenarios that we discussed, but I’m not sure if by “the end of the world” we mean the end of life as we know it, the human race, or the earth itself. So I’m not sure that all of the scenarios we were comparing are really comparable in that respect. I personally still feel that we shouldn’t go messing with colonizing other planets; instead, we should focus on fixing and preventing the problems that we have control of here on earth.

• McClurken
    I think that the idea of the world ending anytime soon is a bit premature. The idea of a super sickness killing everybody is intruiging. It is also very cool that no matter what the pandemic there is, there will always be someone who survives it. We as humans are naturally going to be inclined to take things over if the world does decide to discover other planets. We will exploit the planet and all that inhabit it for its resources. That part is a bit disturbing.

• O’Donnell

Oh lawdy, what conclusions did we end up drawing? Global warming is an afterthought. I am very glad people see Al Gore as a sad case of hyperbole. I quite liked the psychology of apocalyptic thought, and how it exists as motivation, but I deviate from that theory, because I, like most of the other students, think the apocalypse is inevitable. Without the threat bearing some weight, religion could be dismissed with similar logic. What can we do about it? Really nothing. When the time comes, it comes. If we thought there was something to be done about the sun burning out, all of our scientists would be working on a solution. Professor O’Donnell asked “What is the meaning of life?” We just have to live microbiologically. The big picture isn’t one that has too many human faces. Especially ones that look like Al Gore.

• yesterdays discussion went very to the point id say. Even our movies refferences were on topic. We deffinatly had more to say about 2 or 3 of those ten reasons, like aleins and forming life on other planets.
    I think that the super disease will come first if any.
    It is the most plausible and definatly gona happen eventually even if not to the magnatude of super but maybe mega.
    I think we have the ability to prevent most of these from happening.
    The meteor can definatly be avoided and the deforrestation can be stopped, but i dont know about the aleins.
    Tyler

• McClurken
    This discussion went very well and everyone had something to say. I think we all agreed that a super disease would be the first possibility for the end of the world. What I found interesting was peoples opinions on colonizing other planets. A lot of people said we should try and fix our own planet before we start on others. Which I think is the right idea because if we don’t learn how to take care of the planet we are on now then how can we take care of another one? I though there would be more people saying we should go ahead and colonize the planet as soon as possible. Over all it was a good discussion.

• O’Donnell
    I’m not worried about the world ending any time soon. The sun will eventually burn out but not for a long time. Disease won’t kill everybody because someone somewhere has some wierd mutation that makes them immune. The 1918 flu killed so many people because people didn’t know how the disease was spread. Hey if the 1918 flu didn’t happen I wouldn’t be here. It’s a long story but basicly my great grandfather on my dads side left Greece because his family was killed by the flu. As for a nuclear aniliation I highly doubt it. But if it does happen the it will probly be something like this song by Tom Leher:
    When you attend a funeral,
    It is sad to think that sooner or
    Later those you love will do the same for you.
    And you may have thought it tragic,
    Not to mention other adjec-
    Tives, to think of all the weeping they will do.
    But don’t you worry.
    No more ashes, no more sackcloth.
    And an armband made of black cloth
    Will some day never more adorn a sleeve.
    For if the bomb that drops on you
    Gets your friends and neighbors too,
    There’ll be nobody left behind to grieve.

And we will all go together when we go.
    What a comforting fact that is to know.
    Universal bereavement,
    An inspiring achievement,
    Yes, we all will go together when we go.

We will all go together when we go.
    All suffuse with an incandescent glow.
    No one will have the endurance
    To collect on his insurance,
    Lloyd’s of London will be loaded when they go.

Oh we will all fry together when we fry.
    We’ll be french fried potatoes by and by.
    There will be no more misery
    When the world is our rotisserie,
    Yes, we will all fry together when we fry.

Down by the old maelstrom,
    There’ll be a storm before the calm.

And we will all bake together when we bake.
    There’ll be nobody present at the wake.
    With complete participation
    In that grand incineration,
    Nearly three billion hunks of well-done steak.

Oh we will all char together when we char.
    And let there be no moaning of the bar.
    Just sing out a Te Deum
    When you see that I.C.B.M.,
    And the party will be “come as you are.”

Oh we will all burn together when we burn.
    There’ll be no need to stand and wait your turn.
    When it’s time for the fallout
    And Saint Peter calls us all out,
    We’ll just drop our agendas and adjourn.

You will all go directly to your respective Valhallas.
    Go directly, do not pass Go, do not collect two hundred dolla’s.

And we will all go together when we go.
    Ev’ry Hottentot and ev’ry Eskimo.
    When the air becomes uranious,
    And we will all go simultaneous.
    Yes we all will go together
    When we all go together,
    Yes we all will go together when we go.

• I’m not worried about the world ending any time soon. The sun will burn out eventualy but not for a long time. A disease won’t kill everyone on the planet because someone somewhere has a wierd mutation that gives them immunity. The 1918 flu killed so many people because people didn’t understand how it was transmitted. If the 1918 flu didn’t happen I might not be here. My great grandfather left Greece after his parents died of the flu. As for a nuclear aniliation I highly doubt it. But if it does happen I agree that it will be like in Tom Lehrer’s song:
    When you attend a funeral,
    It is sad to think that sooner or
    And you may have thought it tragic,
    Not to mention other adjec-
    But don’t you worry.
    No more ashes, no more sackcloth.
    And an armband made of black cloth
    For if the bomb that drops on you
    Gets your friends and neighbors too,

And we will all go together when we go.
    What a comforting fact that is to know.
    Universal bereavement,
    An inspiring achievement,

We will all go together when we go.
    All suffuse with an incandescent glow.
    No one will have the endurance
    To collect on his insurance,

There will be no more misery
    When the world is our rotisserie,

Down by the old maelstrom,
    There’ll be a storm before the calm.

There’ll be nobody present at the wake.
    With complete participation
    In that grand incineration,

And let there be no moaning of the bar.
    Just sing out a Te Deum
    When you see that I.C.B.M.,

When it’s time for the fallout
    And Saint Peter calls us all out,

And we will all go together when we go.
    Ev’ry Hottentot and ev’ry Eskimo.
    When the air becomes uranious,
    And we will all go simultaneous.
    Yes we all will go together
    When we all go together,
    Yes we all will go together when we go.

• I was a little disappointed in the ted talk yesterday and thought that there wasn’t enough passion involved. I was looking forward to hearing different people’s points of view on the apocalypse and was disappointed when the topic went off topic rather often. I was looking forward to learning about the different views that people might have on “the end of the world”. I don’t have much of an opinion on the topic because I feel like I don’t know enough about the history and the facts to conclude that the world will truly end in 2012. From this class discussion, I did realize that no one has enough information to conclude that the apocalypse and the mayan calendar are true. I feel like no one is knowledgeable enough to say that the world as we know it will completely come to an end, and I’m not ready to face that it will.

• O’Donnell
    Ok so I agree that our discussion lacked our usual degree of passion, but I have to admit the end of the world isn’t something I often ponder. So I really don’t have very stong well developed opinions on the topic. I do know however that global warming is more than an “after thought”. I didn’t defend global warming as the cause of the end of the world but I certainly believe that it is causing harm to our world right now and people should take it a little more seriously. Even if it is over emphasized taking additional measures to try and preserve our world is not a bad thing. I feel one of the biggest threats to our destruction is ourselves. We are over using our resources and unless we come up with some creative solutions soon our lives are about to dramatically change.

• McClurken

Our discussion went much better than what I had thought, although it was just us spitting out our opinions and not really trying to reach a point in any way. I still think that we will lead to the destruction of the earth, not any other life form. No, we should not colonize Mars or the moon because we have already screwed up our planet, why screw up another? In case we are going to be bombed, I have my bomb shelter that will keep me comfortable for the next 2 or 3 years while I claim my area for myself (as the article says).

• Donnelly Phillips
    October 21st, 2009 at 8:13 pm

O’Donnell

Eppapas, I ADORE that song! Tom Lehrer’s We Will All Go Together When We Go. It is absolutely fantastic. Somehow, it was able to give a positive view of the apocalypse.

It’ll come when it comes. Honestly, if we were lucky enough to have been given life and stay alive this long, we’ll be lucky enough to live a couple more hundred years, at the very least. Just do what we can in our power and not really worry.

Like I said, we need to fix our problems amongst each other. We really need to focus on uniting human-wise. When we do that, it will certainly become easier to focus on restoring the physical world and making certain that it is suitable for life years and years to come. Also like I said, I do believe in what my faith believes, being that by 2012, if nations and humans do not do what we need to do – what God needs them to do to restore humanity – 2/3rds of the world will die by nuclear means.

• McClurken

Everyone seemed to have different opinions as to how the world was going to end when that comes around. I still believe that the world will end because of all of the nuclear weapons spread throughout the world. However, it is very possible for a new disease to come out and wipe out the population. I don’t think that it could kill everyone though, i feel like someone will be immune to it. The meteor theory that some people believed was going to be our end was new to me. Even though i haven’t ever really thought of that being the ending to the world, it is very possible and now somewhat gets me thinking as to how i would react if i found out there was a meteor coming our way right now. I have always said i don’t believe in aliens, but just thinking about the subject more, i don’t know anymore. If the definition of an alien would be described as an unknown life source somewhere out in another planet or universe, i sort of think this is highly possible. Like Jordan said though, i don’t think we will ever come in contact with them, or at least if we do, we will not know it.

• I think we should be thinking more about bees and how difficult it would be to pollinate all plants once their dead. No bees, no plant food. No plant food, no other food. Not as naturally or anywhere near as easily. I think losing bees is far more of a consideration in terms of apocalyptic doom for humankind. Go pollination!

• The talk today made me do a lot of thinking. I, personally, don’t know what I’d do if it was a proven fact that the world was going to end. I’m probably going to start my physical Bucket List right now. I’ve never really put much thought into what I’d do if I knew when the world ended. I do believe that the world will end eventually, it’s just bound to happen. I think the idea of life is to enjoy it while you have it. I don’t know enough about this topic to have a strong opinion.