October 6, 2009 – Technology and human interaction

http://blogs.lib.ncsu.edu/Meyrick/entry/weblogs

http://mashable.com/2009/09/21/work-home-lunch-sleep/

http://www.boston.com/business/personaltech/articles/2007/04/24/colleges_seek_text_message_alert_system_after_attack/

39 Comments

• In Erik Hersman’s video it seemed to me that what they’re trying to do is the same thing that Bing is trying to do. When you type something into Google you get millions of results want to be a “decision maker”. A “crowdsourced filter” could be a good thing, but does this all come back to having choices?

In the second video Mena Trott talked about whether or not blogs are a good thing or a bad thing and while watching this video I began to daydream about my views on blogs and for the most part, I agreed with Trott. I’m not going to get too in depth because I think it would be a good discussion question for class on Tuesday.

Evan Williams talk focused on twitter and he made a strong case for twitter but I just do not care about someone enough to want to get updates on what they’re doing all the time, nor do I want people to know what I am doing.

The only twitter account that I do visit is, http://twitter.com/Shitmydadsays, an account that my friend showed me. I look at this because it is funny and also because it is fictional, not actually something that people are always doing.

• First video about Twitter was ingenious. The crowd-sourcing tool harnesses a power that will become second nature to us very soon. Putting power in the hands of the majority can never be called detrimental save by the corporations (like MSNBC, CNN and other major news agencies) that are threatened by it.
    The last video about Twitter didn’t have much novel information, but I did learn who the worst public speaker at TED was. That guy.
    The middle video was self-aggrandizing, even if she admitted it. It was shallow and self-focused and I didn’t learn much except that that lady’s blog is amazing and she is such a hero, applaud.
    Blogs and Tweets are becoming more popular because of increasing selfishness. We can relate to the trivial things people talk about, and since nothing we do is unimportant, all this talk about shower taking and homework doing is bestseller worthy.
    I will always be in favor of blogging and tweeting and whatever other ings arise, but I expect them to remain unregulated so the public can decide whats important. Meaning>personal paraphernalia and that means Google>Facebook.

• First Video- I agree with S.Dacey. I feel like it is exactly the same as any search engine or “Bing”. It didn’t really fascinate me too much.

Second Video- Mena Trott discussed blogs and how important they are. Are they a good aspect of social networking or a bad aspect? As I thought about what she was saying, I do not really have an opinion on it yet. I am interested on hearing what others have to say about this video and how they feel about blogs.

Third Video- Evan Williams discussed Twitter and completely backed it up 100%. I am not really a fan of the site, so I did not enjoy the video. Sure, you can see everything someone is posting or doing at the time and yes, it may be a great social networking site. But truthfully, I could care less about every little thing people are doing. Also, Edmund is right, the guy is a horrible speaker.

Overall, I think blogging and social networking sites are very useful. I am interested in hearing what others have to say about them, especially Twitter.

• First video, I liked the idea of they started that group to get the information out that they gathered. I also agreed with S.Dacey, on that video. At the end of the video it seemed that Erik wasn’t done, its like he left a lot out of his Ted Talk.
    Second video, Mena had a great Ted Talk to my opinion, including humor and pictures. She talked about how she used her blog and how well it works. I don’t understand the interest that she gets into blogs though. I wouldn’t want people reading :basically my daily journal”, I have a facebook that “my friends” can see not others.
    Third video, except for him being a horrible speaker, he talked about twitter. Twitter to me is good source to follow a celebrity that you are interest in and, also to receive incoming news. For example I used to follow Clinton Portis twitter, just because I was just a huge fan. It got annoying though receive those messages all the time.
    I do agree with Ashlee though that blogging and the social networking sites are very useful. Especially staying in contact with people and receiving news feed about certain things.

• I personally feel as though these videos barely do more than scratch the surface of how powerful internet blogging has become and has the potential to become. This whole new generation of blogging and “tweeting” on the internet is revolutionizing how people use technology. Though I am not a huge participant in blogging aside from these homework assignments, I do feel that blogging itself can be used as a very productive and efficient if used correctly. Like the first video preached, this type of blogging system can locate and bring light to problems and issues in a way that has never been done before. In the third video, disregarding the fact that Evan Williams is an atrocious speaker and only got his point across because people had prior knowledge of his topic before he spoke, he emphasizes how this type of networking system creates some many new avenues of communication and accessible knowledge to a plethora of people. For the most part, I found these videos interesting and engaging.

• McClurken

The most relevant point to our discussion that the first video brought up was the problem that information overload creates. This is one of my major issues with digital medias: I simply don’t have the time to sift through the masses of blogs and tweets to find the ones that are worth following, or the good information. The crowdsourced filter is a brilliant idea, and it’s what makes Wikipedia so effective. I will go to Wikipedia, because I don’t have to try to find something that’s good, only use my judgment about what’s there. Trott’s video then talked about the power of crowdsourcing in transferring control of the media to the masses. I’m interested to hear people’s opinions as to whether blogging, etc. makes us as a society more self-centered, in that we talk about ourselves a lot and feel the need to share, or less, because we are willing to expend the time and effort to read about other people. I do, however, believe that personal interactions (face-to-face) can fill all of the same roles that she mentions blogs do, although I do recognize that sometimes there is a need to share something that you don’t want to tell people that actually know you.

I also am curious about the relationship between the decline of oral history and the increase of online sharing; I feel that perhaps this need to share stories, as Trott kept talking about, is a result of the fact that we don’t have oral history as a part of our culture any more so we don’t share stories in that manner.

My final main point that the videos prompted is about the changing nature of privacy and how we define this. What is private any more? Are there boundaries as to what can be shared?

P.S.: I found it ironic that the first article was so poorly written, as it was arguing that the fact that blogs are public will encourage people to write well.

• O to the Donnell

The first video intrigued me. Crowd filtering would certainly make important pieces of information more accessible.

I say “meh” to the third video. Ignoring speaking skills, the whole twitter story just does not fascinate me. Maybe to a lot of people tweeting is significant, but honestly, I could care less about what people are doing in the moment. I ignore the Facebook statuses. I may write one every week or so, but it is usually a quote or something random. I care about what is going one with everyone I know, but I do not pursue to find out what they are doing at any particular moment.

Now, to clarify, states of emergency and witnessing events are a completely different story.

• The blog on the types of blogs was interesting because of the percentages of the users of the different types of blogs did not surprise me.
    I think that it is awesome that we can get news from around the world extremely quickly. With the accessibility of the Internet as much as everybody has today, we can twitter while major events are going on such as that in Mumbai, or even during the horrendous earthquakes in Indosnesia. We should be able to know about events when they happen, not a week or so later.
    With everybody having their own personal profiles on sites such as Facebook and twitter, it is great to have friends and meet new ones, but there must come a time where there will be no more privacy for those with these accounts.
    Will ever be too much technology for the world to handle?

• McClurken-

I thought the second video was interesting because of how Mena Trott talked about the impact of blogging. The story about the woman who blogged about her illness showed how blogging can bring people together and you can really feel like you know a person and can get to know them through their daily blogging. They write about emotions that they probably would never feel as comfortable saying aloud. I feel as though it acts as an escape or release for some people. I don’t really see anything negatively coming out of personal blogging.

I also thought Twitter was always a little bit excessive. I have this imagine that people post every time they change the channel on the television or take a sip of coffee but Evan Williams proved that Twitter is actually much more then that. I thought the gas price posts was a really good idea and that when used to be able to spread awareness, it makes me second guess how I feel about “the Twitter world.”

It’s interesting how much and often we rely on technology without even realizing it. Without technology I would never be able to successfully make it through my day.

• O’Donnell
    This topic is one that is playing an increasingly important part of our lives. I thought that the videos were not that interesting but had some relevant points. The first video about twitter was cool because it gave prospective to twitter being more than a self centered social networking tool. It has he potential to be useful and powerful if used in the right ways. The second video focused mainly on blogging. I was puzzled as to why the speaker was so interested in herself to blog about her life everyday. She made the comment I can go back and look up exactly what I was doing on April 25 last year. Why? I can see that blogging can be a useful tool but why blog about boring everyday events in your life. No one really cares what you ate for lunch or if you are thinking of buying a 300 dollar banjo. The last video was very generic information about twitter, not very interesting except for the new concept of being able to see others opinions of a certain event. This is an interesting development in twitter that has some potential.

• I did not get much out of the videos – I thought that the first and third were short and lacking much information or engaging qualities and that the second was not persuasive as to why I should begin blogging. I would hope that people who are passionate about technology as means for increasing human interaction would have the ability to sway their audience. Granted, I am not very technological. I do not have facebook, myspace, twitter or whatever else exists out there. I thought this may be a very interesting topic because it’s something that I thought may try to provoke me to change my lifestyle, but it hasn’t in the least. All of these venues can be used in ways I think are respectable, however, they are mostly filled with empty words and unintelligible thoughts. Just because we can pull a few optimistic examples from each site does not mean that the majority of its content is worthwhile.

• I found this topic interesting because now technology is really shaping human interaction. With all the blogs and twitters and facebook accounts there are it really isn’t that hard to interact with people. This can have good affects like what Erik Hersman talked about. He had the idea of using technology to help the world and update people on what was going on. Evan Williams kind of had the same idea with twitter. While I like the original idea of twitter I don’t like what it’s used for. I really don’t want to know some random person in Wisconsin is walking down the road.

Mena Trott’s talk wasn’t very interesting. At first I didn’t know what she was talking about and didn’t know until halfway though the video. Even then I didn’t get the full gist of what she was saying.

• My goodness, what revolutionary ideas have been presented here. It’s amazing. To think that twitter could be used as a tool to spread forest fire alerts and emergency notifications! Simply put: it’s the future.

Speaking of the twitter talk, this man’s presentation abilities are absolutely breathtaking. I’ll be sure to attend any twitter seminar Evan Williams may be giving at UMW.

Also, I think that what we are doing with twitter is in no way mundane. Is it not a note of significance that I am currently “typing my response to some ted talks and articles on TED2009.”?

Next, Mena Trott had a great way of looking at the blogging environment. She actually won an award for her abilities to reach out into the internet community (which, as it so happens, is responsible for a lot of great feedback on a VARIETY of topics – http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/6242687/WTF-Wisconsin-Tourism-Federation-changes-name-after-internet-jokes.html).

• After watching the videos and reading the articles, I am really looking forward to the class discussion tomorrow. I think that the class’s opinions will be completely split and everyone’s opinions will be different in regards to twitter or blogging. I personally do not use “twitter” and have never had any interest or desire to. Mlindsey mentioned how the video on twitter brought up a good point about twittering. It can be a very productive way to communicate with people all over and to send messages out and to inform people. However, not all people are using it for that reason. I feel like twitter has become an entire website for facebook statuses, to tell people what your emotion is at the very moment or what activity you are doing that day or night, rather than putting something with actual meaning or value. I agree with the video about blogging and that it truly can bring people together. I like to blog and I think blogging is actually a useful source for writers/students. The first article focused on blogging and it mentioned that blogging allows for a 2 way communication. When a writer blogs, they have to be creative and interesting so they can receive feedback from another reader/writer. The ability to critique and offer feedback on one’s blog can allow for a great discussion and exchange of feelings/beliefs or even an improvement in writing. I do agree with the saying in this article that blogging allows for, “readers to become writers”.

I’m interested to see how class is going to go and to hear people’s own opinions on blogging or twitter and how it may or may not be useful.

• mcclurken, sorry im late, my internet sucks,
    So the ifrst video was good, but it just seems like they are just doing a more filtered version of google. Taking out more of the goock and making it more of what you searched for.

Then in the second video was about blogs and the pros and cons. I feel as though blogs serve a purpose but idk if i agree with how far they have transcended in recent years.

Then the third was on twitter. I have looked at twitter once or twice but never have used it. I i was walking up the stairs and typed that, who would care. and if someone else did that they were gona go to the bathroom, thats none of my business. I dislike twitter.
    The google thing, blogs and twitter are all very good agruments for how much more in contact we are with eachother and how much easier it is to find out about eachother. Fantastic

• When watching the videos on Technology and human interaction I have realized that blogs and other communicating devices online are becoming more advanced. Even though I am not a big fan of twitter or blogging, these communicating devices are becoming more influential in sharing news whether it is good or bad. Saying that though I don’t think people have to have a fixation on writing down every single thing or activity they are doing at that specific moment.

The blog video was interesting to see that everyone has a different topic to share. I found it appealing that Mena Trott shows that blogging is very simple. Anyone can make a blog, while some people just write about day-to-day life, others write about things that have happened and affected people in the world.

I hope that this online communicating technology will help the human race become more productive and advanced in everyday life.

• mcclurken

i thought the first video wasn’t very interesting. I thought it was neat that they do all of their testing in Africa claiming if it can work there then it can work anywhere. The second video was kind of over exagerated. Yes, some of her points were pretty valid. It is nice to know the facts about your family from things like blogs but there are other ways to do that. Having pictures is also very ncie. However, taking a picture of yourself every day is just ridiculous and completely unnecesary. You really do not change that much from day to day. I guess it might be interesting to try and see if you can tell when you begin to age but besides that it would be pretty useless. The third video about one of my most disliked tool out there, twitter. He made some good points about how people used it to help find gas. But, do you really need to get that instant feedback on how your performance was on giving a speech like that. Honestly, twitter is going to bring up an all new level of cyber stalking.

• O’Donnell

These videos at first seem like the ideas are boring, but with some thought, it can cause some mixed ideas. The video about blogs seemed interesting. My point of view is that blogs really don’t serve much of a purpose. Whether I like blogging or not, it still has become very popular.

To me Twitter is just a facebook for people 30 years or older. Facebook is for college and high school students, well now getting into middle school. Twitter from I have seen is used too much, because there are those people who decide to say what they’re doing every second of their life. with that said, there is also the argument that these internet/blogging sites keep people in contact with one another. This should be a good talk

• None of these videos kept my attention. I have absolutely no interest in blogging and though I believe the first video sent a good message I think it was poorly purposed. The second I could really care less about because I have no interest in people blogging about there lives. I would prefer to sit down and have a conversation about someone’s life then simply read about some stranger. The third I suppose I can relate to because although I don’t have a twitter but I know some people who do and have a good idea of what it is all about so that kind of held my attention..

• O’Donnell

First off, sorry if I’m a little late with my comment; my internet is a bit slow today. Personally, technology does not really interest me, although I do think it is important. I agree with a few other people here stating that the videos are not enough to get me started on blogging. Yes, it would be interesting to look back on your life and see what you were doing on a certain day, but I just think it takes too much time writing about your life when you could be living your life. Personally, I believe in living for the moment rather then living for memories after writing them down on a blog. But everybody has his or her hobby, and I think blogging can be helpful when it comes to writing.

I also believe twitter is too much information when it comes to everyday people. However, after this year’s elections in Iran, it has proved itself to be useful. It has proved itself to stand up against the harsh laws of the country and was able to spread news of what was going on in post-election Iran to other parts of the world. As an international affairs junkie, I thought this was great and I was glad that I was able to follow what was going on in Iran. However, those who constantly twitter things like “I am eating a sandwich” should really find something better to do with their lives; I do not care if you are eating a sandwich and you do not need to let everyone who has you on twitter know that.

Personally, I believe that technology is beneficial to the world, but it also gives us too much information at times with twitter updates, boring blogs, and constantly updated facebook statuses. I just think that technology should be used for information and communication, and our lives should not be spent twittering or blogging; it should be spent actually living life.

–Stacey Peros

• Overall, I find some of the methods of communication we use today are stupid. Mainly, I do not understand Twitter. At all. Maybe thus is why 60% of Twitter users quit within the first month. It is interesting to hear that it was just a side job and ended up running the whole company, though. I really liked the first video and how if “[a device] works in Africa, it will work anywhere.” I feel like the rest of the information was common knowledge – blogs are mostly written by teenagers, most are personal feelings instead of educational tools, etc. I personally do not blog, this class is the first class in which I have ever blogged in my life, and I guess personally I do not want to share my entire life with the entire world. Mena said that she posted pictures of herself to see exactly what she was doing that exact day, but I feel you could easily do the same thing with a journal, which is what I do. Maybe I am just old-fashioned, but I still don’t think that our personal selves should be stripped and exposed to everyone.

• McClurken

No matter what any one does or says, technology is always evolving. I believe this is because as humans we are never satisfied and want to continue to expand to find the next big thing. That being said when blogging came around it was another way that people can share their ideas. Blogging at first I think was somehting were people could share their ideas, but I now believe it has become something much more. It has become a place where people just dump their lives. They tell the world about their home life, their work, their hobbies, etc. It’s almost as if people are addicted to letting people know about their life, which refers back to the fact that we are turning into an ecocentric society.
    Along with that blogging can be an effective tool to get certain things changed. It can be used to get policies changed and this can be another dangerous tool that lobbyists can use to get the job done. Im curious to see where this talk ends up going.

• McClurken

I feel that today’s talk on blogging and facebook went fairly well today. We were able to share how we feel about networking sites and tools such as facebook, twitter, and texting. For the most part, I was able to see that most people my age feel the same way about all these tools. We share the same feelings about our friends, how none of us really use twitter, and how the rules of texting apply to us. To answer a big question during the discussion, I feel as those we have more people we are connected to. But, at the same time we don’t have the closeness to those select few. We have extended bonds with many people, but fewer strong bonds with a small amount of people as technology spreads us out.

• Our discussion went really well today. I still believe that blogs are pretty pointless, but Mcclurken made the good points that 7,000 people may be following the stay-at-home mom and how her baby is growing and whatnot. Twitter, as well, I see to be useful in conferences when the speaker is referencing specific articles and someone will tweet the article or the speaker will take questions from the post. For cellphone/Facebook using, I am quite picky when it comes to who is my friend on Facebook, but it is only because I do not want to use someone for something. Why I have all the numbers in my phone, though, is because I can easily throw my sim card away and get a new one; if someone hacks into my Facebook I can’t change that, ever.

• So i thought our class discussion was very dry. It seemed as if you all didn’t really understand what i was asking out of the question. Plus, i didn’t really know how to word exactly what i wanted to say.

Facebook is consuming the lives of more people than you know. For me, it’s a very useful tool to stay in touch with the many friends i have in other countries that i cannot call on a regular basis. While trying to write a paper last night, i realized that the majority of the time i sat down and attempted to write my paper, i was actually just on Facebook.

I found it interesting how some people made statements that contradicted in what they believed. Hopefully the next discussion will be better.

• O’Donnell

I thought today’s discussion was interesting. I think most people have come in contact with one new form of technology or another and base their various opinions on it. Yes, overall, I believe most new technology can be a good thing, as long as it does not consume too much time in our lives. I was called out in class today about my first blog post. I do admit, it is quite contradictory, but I think I can explain myself better here. I tend to do annoying status updates for two reasons: 1. If something funny happened or was said and 2. To tell my family in Croatia what I am doing. Believe it or not, my relatives in Croatia are more addicted to Facebook than even the most addicted American. This is because I have family all over the world, and we all want to know what is going on with each other, even if it is the most mundane of things. Personally, I am not a fan of doing that, but for my family, yes, I would update my status and let them know what boring things I am doing haha.

I think Facebook is good, but as we mentioned, I know some of my friends just sit in their dorms and play Tetris and Farmville on Facebook all day which I think is a little too much. It also annoys me at times when people go on Facebook during class. I think class time should be used for learning and although I do bring a laptop to class, I only do school related stuff on it while in an academic building. However, if it is used to find old friends or to keep in touch with family thousands of miles away like me, I think Facebook is a wonderful tool and has helped me stay connected with my family and friends scattered throughout Europe.

–Stacey Peros

• Today’s class was alright, but was not the best that we had. We realized that most of us use technology to bring us together with other people in a way, through texting or Facebook. Even though their are blogs out their, I have no need to share my life with others. Blogs seem a perfect place for people that have issues and want to share them, so that other people can reflect on that certain dilemma. Twitter on the other hand seemed pointless unless your obsessed with a celebrity, like for example I use twitter with Clinton Portis, since he was idle for me.
    I think technology of communication will grow and their be other ways to interact and communicate with other people in the future.

• O’Donnell
    Today’s discussion offered a metaphor for what technology is turning everything: boring. There isn’t anything to discuss when it comes to social technology. It’s like talking about how you slept the night before. Everything we do currently in the social world is shallow, and there isn’t much controversy in that field. I wish we had talked more about crowdsourcing. Twitter is a powerful tool. Facebook is powerful entertainment.
    Sadly, Facebook has yet to rake in big net profits. They spend everything they make right away. It’s almost as if they were Americans. Google owns Facebook and they are the veterans of the internet.
    Blogs are therapy for Bloggers, but not much else. Bloggers who blog about interesting things are more freelance journalists, and less something revolutionary.
    There are some things being done with technology. Anything open source is the future. The Obama administration (controversially) made government publications including studies available to the public. At the same time, Iphone apps released their source code. A entrepreneurial programmer wrote an Iphone app that combined the two, using the data for where most murders occur at night in DC and GPS to form an application that tells drunk people the best way to walk home to avoid getting killed.
    Technology helps, sure, but it is an enabler. It makes activities easier, but most of the time they are difficult for a reason. Hot pics anyone?

• McClurken-

I thought todays discussion went really well. The question about whether technology tears us apart or brings us together as a society was brought up and I think it’s a very interesting point. When technology is used in certain ways such as for video chatting with someone you can’t see as often, facebooking to keep in touch with old friends, or to “spread the word” about certain information or emergencies, then it is being used to bring people to together in positive ways. Some people though, may used technology a little more differently, for example to text instead of call a family member or friend, or to get to know people over IM instead of first meeting them in person, then doesn’t seem to be putting technology to good use. It then creates a certain barrier. We all agreed that we would even say some things over chat or IM that we wouldn’t say in person so which one is the “real us” talking? We can get to know someone over facebook or through IM but in reality they could turn out to be a completely different person then they had perceived themselves to be.

As for blogs, I think that if they help you and you like them then that’s great but personally they are not for me. I wouldn’t want to publish to day to day life on the internet. I don’t really see the point..

• I think that personally, I wouldn’t have a blog, especially about my day-to-day life, because I want that to be a more personal interaction, but I do wish that there were some way to find and distinguish the blogs/twitter/whatever other technology that were actually worth my time to read. For example, I read the Freakonomics blog, because it posts interesting, thoughtful commentary on world events and offers an economic viewpoint on things I wouldn’t have thought of. I think that blogs like these are given a bad reputation by the narcissistic teenagers we talked about. However, I’m not sure how to find more content-based blogs like these, and so I generally avoid all blogs to avoid wasting my time.

I also generally lean towards the view that communication via technology drives us farther apart, and that we are losing an important skill. Everyone who talked about awkward face-to-face conversations (which I have definitely experienced) understands that we are losing the ability to hold personal interactions. I personally generally find chatting or texting with someone I don’t know more awkward than talking to them in person, although less so than talking on the phone. But I think we have lost to some extent the ability to hold a natural conversation with someone we don’t know very well. The art of oral history is also disappearing– we didn’t really mention this, but Trott’s mention of how she didn’t know the stories of her ancestors isn’t true for me– my family is tells stories and histories of individuals so I do feel like I know them, even if they are long gone.

• O’Donnell

Following the class discussion, my opinion did not change about any of the topics we discussed nor was it even swayed in the slightest. I thought that the discussion itself was mediocre because it did not have great flow to it. In addition, I felt as though fewer people talked this time compared to others. One of the major issues we have as a group is that the same people talk the majority of the time. This wouldn’t be a problem if everyone said their piece and some people just talked more than others. However, that’s just not the case. We have individuals in the class that do not contribute whatsoever and this puts the discussion on the shoulders of the people who do all the talking. I strongly feel as though the conversation and overall discussion quality would greatly improve if more of the class chose to partake more.

• McClurken
    Yesterday’s discussion was interesting because technology can both help and hurt you and the people around you. People who have Facebooks, and their parents stalk them to make sure that they are keeping out of trouble, might end up getting farther and farther away from each other because the parents don’t like what their child or children are doing. I think that technology can also give us the tools to let us explore what we like and let others know what we think. I personally don’t like twitter, I think that it is pointless. The one pro to texting and chatting I will say is that you can’t see the other person’s emotions when you tell them things, you just send the message. On the phone or in person is the way to go because you can listen to the person and see their emotions, and not have to just guess.

• In my opinion this discussion was probably one of the best and worst we have had. Everyone discussed during this class period and many ideas were brought to the table but I feel like there were some things missing at the same time. At some points I think there could have been more controversial questions or “why”s asked by the leaders but otherwise, great job. The issue of facebook and twitter and such was brought down to the simple explanation of “addiction” or “stalking”. Sure, it is taking up peoples lives but there are some great things about this new technology.

• I thought the discussion yesterday went well. The new online communicating technologies like twitter and face book are good to an extent. If people can limit their activity on these sites then online communicating is a great way to stay in touch with people. The only thing wrong with these sites are people become fixated or addicted and feel “disconnected from the world” if they don’t check it on a regular basis. If people limit pointless posting then these sites are reasonable.

• McClurken
    I thought the discussion went well in class. We all had valid things to say about this topic. One thing brought up was that it seems easier for to interact with people through technology than face to face. While I find knowing people face to face is better I do see how people can be drawn to interaction through technology. When we use technology we have a lesser chance of messing up then when we are face to face. Face to face means getting to know someone more personally because you have said hello and watched their facial expressions and seen their movements. Meeting someone face to face exposes them to you and you to them. I think people fear that so they turn to technology. While they are not getting physical interaction they are still getting human interaction.

• Since our discussion of blogging and other forms of human interaction with technology I have decided that these new forms of communicating are doing quick work of separating us as a society on a personal, human to human basis, while bringing us closer over longer distances, ONLY through our computer screens.

Forget phone calls to classmates of years past, but friend them on Facebook in a second, and if you see them on the street you most likely will feel uncomfortable saying “hi”.

• The discussion on Tuesday did not go well at all. Actually, discussion isn’t even a good word for it because everything was so cut and dry that it felt like a Q&A event. This is all of our fault because we picked these themes to talk about, maybe we should have picked more hot topics that will get a more heated discussion going.

That being said, I did not get anything out of the class on Tuesday. Usually after class I spend the 15 minutes before my next class thinking about what other people had said and comparing them with my original thoughts and seeing which is the better point of view, after yesterday’s class I just commented on how I love fall weather and forgot about class. I still feel that technology is a great thing that can bring people together (parents using facebook to reconnect with old classmates) or it can spread people apart (talking to someone while texting another person or only having a relationship with someone technologically) and the key to not letting modern day technology, specifically blogging/facebook/twitter, is to find that happy medium where you can balance the instantly gratifying technological relationship and the face to face relationship.

• O’Donnell
    Ok the discussion was alright, I didn’t really find the topic that intriguing or exciting to discuss so I had a hard time thinking of things to contribute. I did find it funny that while many of us agreed that we could go without facebook for a certain period of time when it was suggested that as a class we give up facebook none of us really supported the idea. I also thought it was funny that the idea of adults having a facebook seemed so strange. Why shouldn’t they have a facebook? Adults have friends and lived just like we do. Why should they not use it to keep in touch with friends? Also I’m not a big fan of twitter but we did discuss some interesting possibilities for it in class.

• Donnelly Phillips
    October 7th, 2009 at 8:04 pm

My whole standpoint might have shifted slightly since my prepost. I still stand by twitter being useless, but only in the way that it is being used. I realize that Facebook, Twitter, and other internet technologies whatnots are only as bad as the user uses them. They can be used positively and negatively. They can connect people from miles away. They can absorb people’s lives, giving them negative habits and behavior patterns. “With great power comes great responsibility.” These technologies are as great as they are used. Use your will power to avoid the dark side of technology, and they will aid you greatly.