October 8, 2009 – Impairments and limitations?

1.      Felicia Holzgrefe
2.      Melissa Jones

1.      James Hitch
2.      Torey Mancari
3.      Haley Fitzgerald

You have seen her once, but see her first TED talk:

Aimee Mullins on Running

Dean Kamen previews a new prosthetic arm

Dan Ariely: Are We in Control of Our Own Decisions?

Further reading:

Read the first review by Kirkus Reviews to get an extended idea of Dan Ariely’s opinion:

http://books.google.com/books?id=IrkYIAAACAAJ&dq=dan+ariely

Shaping Up to Look Good:

http://www.disabilitynow.org.uk/living/style/shaping-up-to-look-good/

If you have not watched Aimee Mullins’ video on her 12 pairs of legs, please watch it now!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/3964943.stm

http://www.accessuvic.ca/student-accessibility-issues8.html

35 Comments

• For the first two videos we will be discussing the literal sense of disabilities and limitations, while for the second we will be discussing limitations of our minds and how, through our lives and how we learn, our thinking process is limited to what we think is right.

• here is a link to the first video with better sound!
    http://blog.ted.com/2009/01/in_this_ted_arc.php

• Once again Aimee Mullins is fascinating. Her story is so uplifting and her speeches always have more than one message. Not only does she talk about her disability being a superability, but she also talks about beauty and self-confidence. I am very excited to talk about her again and her story.

Dan Ariely- The speech was amazing. His story brought out so many themes about life itself. He is really fascinated with how emotions, morals and peer pressure affect our ability to make rational and important decisions in our lives from economic choices to personal choices. I agree with him in so many ways. People everyday make decisions based on what their friends think or how they feel right then. Are decisions really made by us anymore? I really enjoyed this talk. One of the best yet.

Shaping Up To Look Good- I really liked this one as well. I never really thought about this aspect of disabled but as I read I became aware of how clothing and fashion really is powerful. Your clothes set your agenda, who you are, etc. Disabled people should not be viewed as “ugly”, but rather beautiful. Just like everyone else, they are human beings and as Aimee Mullins says, “superabled”.

The top ten negative stereotypes of disabled people made me realize how true those really are. Everyday I hear something negative come out of someone that has to do with those 10 things. Maybe it is our society? Maybe just ignorance? Why have people come to think just because someone doesn’t have an arm or they have been burned in a fire, they are non sexual or a freak?

• i really like Mullin’s talk though it was more of an interview than a talk, but whatever. I thought her story of the amputee race where everyone was missing a hand was hilarious. People may get mad at me for laughing but A. it was funny B. she laughed to and C. if a “disabled” person wants to be treated as equal why do we censor ourselves? I’m not saying go out of your way to single them out but treat them just like you do everyone else. If you’re and ass be an ass don’t try to be nice to them if that’s not who you are. Sorry got off track.
    The second talk was ok, the guy wasn’t a great speaker and was sort of robotic. I thought the video was cool the only problem I have is that the arm makes too much noise and if you are trying to be normal but your arm is humming everytime you move it’s going to draw attention. Just one of the kinks to work out. I liked the third talk alot, Ariely brought up some cool facts and he was entertaining, plus he had an accent. the articles were ok, nothing too spectacular, I did however like the second one because it tore away many of the stereotypes about “disabled” people.

• O’Donnell

First of all, I am glad we have a discussion on disabilities. I have a relative with a disability, and I do not view her as any different as the rest of my family members; she has just as many talents and interests as any normal person. I think the last article points out all of the negative stereotypes of disabled people which certainly are not true. They have the same emotions and behaviors as everyone else.

I agree with everyone who said that Aimee’s talk (or interview) was great. After hearing this talk, I can relate to her as I am also studying International Affairs and I ran track. With that in mind, I realized she is not different from me at all; she has the same interests and activities, and she makes it seem as if she were not disabled at all. I thought the most inspiring part of the interview was when she said that it is not reaching your goals that matters the most, but progression. I knew that when I did track, I never did win first place, but as my times got better and as I started to run in more prestigious races, I felt so proud of myself just to be there. The other two speakers just did not catch my attention like Aimee.

The article “Shaping Up To Look Good” was also interesting. I did not only find this article to be true for disabled people, but for all people. I think we should have the freedom to dress as we want and that clothing is another way to show off our personalities and boost our confidence.

–Stacey Peros

• “If only we understood our cognitive limitation as well as we understand our physical ones.”

Is it better, though, to know our limitations? Some would say “No, the mind is an infinitely powerful organ and you are only holding it’s immense capabilities back in knowing your limitations.” I say otherwise: Dan is right. We have to adopt a real-world view here. In understanding our limitations, cognitively as much as physically, we can begin to create a better world. Almost as creating ramps for those in wheelchairs makes it a better world for them, we must now create “ramps” in the world around us for our cognitive limitations.

This is a difficult concept, as was discussed in the video, and the examples he gave were very simple. It’s hard to imagine “cognitive limitations” in our lives, I don’t know if I really get it, but I feel like it ties into the previous discussions of “what makes us happy” etc., i.e. the choice in whether or not to be an organ donor is very similar to having a variety of jeans to select from in that we get a sort of “paralysis” in our decision making.

• I agree with Dan Ariely on knowing our limitations and working around them and I also believe in what he is saying about understanding our cognitive limitations and physical and if we build towards them, we would live in a better world.

Aimee Mullins again is very inspiring, especially her attitude because it seems to me that she has no impairments or limitations.

And the video on the prosthetic arm was unbelievable. To know that people without an arm, or arms, will someday be able to have that type of technology to help them go about a daily routine is awesome. That would have been an interesting video to watch during our technology talk.

• (O’Donnell)
    Aimee Mullin’s story is very inspirational. She has 2 prosthetic legs and is up on stage giving a talk about how she uses this to her advantage. While attending Georgetown and setting multiple world records, Aimee Mullin has persevered and has changed my perception of what a disability is.

Dean Kamen’s discussion was interesting to see how technology is progressing in prosthetic limbs. Even though the new prosthetic arms are not very strong, they have become more useful when picking up small objects.

Dan Ariely’s talk on what drives people to make choices was fascinating. Dan’s sense of humor captivates the listener while making one think why there are so many people out there driven by many predictable and unpredictable factors. I felt that people’s decision-making or choices are being made socially. Some people in unfamiliar situations will usually make decisions based on related signs rather than evaluating different options to see which one works best.
    This topic will be very interesting to talk about tomorrow.

• Aimee Mullins is one of the best inspirational leaders that I know of. Her Ted Talks really inspire myself to not quite and explore new things. It amazes me what she can do with her fake legs. As my high school coach would she has “No Limits.”
    The second video was shocking to see what a prosthetic arm can do. This technology will be a great help for veterans, who have lost an arm from war. Having to be able to build that arm now is great, but just imagine what technology will be like in the future.
    Arielys talk was very interesting he included great facts in his presentation. I do agree with Dacey that we would live in a better world, if we build toward our cognitive limitations and physical. I can’t what to how our discussion is going to go tomorrow in class.

• McClurken
    The second movie was awesome. It is great that they are making such great strides to help veterans, and others who have these disabilitites. I just wish that he went in to more depth on the arm that was demonstrated in the video.
    The legs that Aimee Mullins runs on are so cool and almost unbelievable. The movie on the visual illusions was interesting because the brain is going to think one way, and subconsciously make you decide which is longer. I liked Dan Ariely’s point about trying to get people to do something via the opt out versus the opt in way. I agree with him because I think that people do not tend to read things very closely, and I am no exception. It is completely true that people do not know what they want. I agree with the “Shaping up to look good” article. Disabled people deserve the right to look decent like non-disabled people. The media should embrace disabilities, people have them more than they think.

• McClurken,
    So i liked the videos.
    The first one was about our limitations and surpasing them. I like it. sounds good. Wish it would happen more.

The video with the arms was super sweet. I think that really grasps the point about getting over and surpasing our limitations. Same goes for the legs. with aimee. Great seeing the video again. Good looking with no legs adn someone with good goals.

• McClurken
    *Aimee Mullins is an incredible person. I think that in this particular video however it kind of shows how limited she is. It was hard to tell what she won the records for- like, for paraplegics? Because when she went to the olympics and raced against these women who had just lost a hand she was significantly slower. I think this just shows that she is limited from perhaps being the best racer- what I am saying is if she had legs and was just as successful her time would have been around 12 seconds instead of around 15. Of course, in every day activities that is not so important- so I mean, the degree of her impairment isn’t as great as it could have been if she were not to have tried to overcome her disability. It is a touching video of success, and of course she overcame many obstacles but she still is limited, and that is an impairment.
    *The prosthetic arm is really amazing. He is able to take that hunk of metal and scratch his nose! I would probably poke my eye out. I did research how much an arm weighs, and its about 3lbs, so this thing is double what an average adult male’s arm weighs and its for a child. I think in the future, like any technology, it will get smaller, and when it does I think it will be more realistic for kids with no limbs. And how much is it going to cost to get these out to those kids- no matter what I think its worth it- but there are a lot of nobel goals out there, will this even get any precedence?
    *Wow. When I said I wanted other people to make my decisions for me- I guess I got what I wanted. I think that when you have something to compare something else to, obviously you are going to pick what you think is better- without realizing that you can eliminate the other option to see if you really want it. In fact- do we even know what we want? or are we always picking the “better” option?
    *Shaping up to look good had some spelling errors that really kind of bothered me- but I am glad disabled people get to look good?
    *I feel like in the BBC news article it is the world changing to help disabled people. I was watching TLC- and the show Little People Big World did an episode where Amy Roloff talked to a room of people about her being a dwarf. She said that a lot of impaired people expect the world to change for them, but really they should look at it as what can I do to adapt to the environment I am in. I think then people can see disabled people as a part of society. Of course disabled people have the right to be accepted- but they expect to be treated differently and that MAKES them different.
    *The top 10 negative Stereotypes of Disabled People really sucks for people who are disabled, but doesn’t everyone get stereotyped? It sucks, but its part of life. You need to deal with what you are given.

• I really enjoy this topic and find it incredibly interesting. All of the videos made me really consider and think about a lot of different things. I always find Aimee Mullins and her talks inspiring because she causes her audience to look at disabilities in a different way. Whenever I watch her videos, I consider a new way to look at people who have disabilities. Why do people tend to look at people with disabilities in a different way or treat them differently? Aimee Mullins considers her prosthetic legs as “superabled”. She considers her disability a beautiful thing. The video about people being judged about what they wear or what they say really drew my attention because people are so concerned about what people will think about them and while watching the video, I couldnt help but think about people who have a disability. It may not be intentional, but when you see someone with a disability you tend to look an extra second longer or you may judge without the attention. These individuals with disabilities aren’t worried about what clothes they wear or what fashion is “in”. These are our concerns so we aren’t judged differently and I feel like that’s where our society goes wrong.

• McClurken

The videos were pretty interesting. I really liked the clip with the guy with the robotic arm and all of the things he could do with his arm. There are endless possibilities with technology advancing to this point. If only these arms were less expensive and could easily be given out to all of those in need. It was really sad when the guy was talking about all the people who come back without an arm and then a lot of time come back missing the other arm too. It’s nice knowing that there are a lot of optimists out there. The one guy was happy he lost his left arm because he is right handed. Not many people would look at that angle of the situation. The lady with the legs as we have discussed already also possesses this same talent of being optimistic. The fact that she turned her dissability into something so amazing, is just well, amazing.

• O’Donnell
    I thought that all the videos were great for this topic. I found all of them pretty enjoyable to watch and they will make for a great discussion. The first two videos are a good example of how people can overcome things which may seem like limitations. Whether they do this mentally or with the use of technology I think overcoming challenges like this are always meaningful life experiences. To see how far prosthetic technology is coming is amazing and also inspiring. Its amazing to think how much technology can change a person’s life and in this case inspire them to keep fighting.

• McClurken

Aimee Mullins talk was amazing. She really didn’t talk too much about her disability but more so of what she does with her disability. Aimee has overcome her limitation to be this great athlete. She had many people to support her and help her succeed. Her couch was always supporting her and pushing her past her limits. Which in reality do any of us have limits or are our limits set up by our minds? I have this therefore I can’t do this, so to speak.

The article about stereotypes of disabled people was actually true. People do stereotype that way and none of them are true. Everyone that has a disability are not strange or weird or to be the butt of jokes they’re just different. Everyone in the world is different no two people are the same so there is no right in making fun of people for being different.

• Donnelly Phillips
    October 7th, 2009 at 7:57 pm

O’Donnell

I really wish the second one was 20 minutes. That one had me in a fair amount of awe.

The third one is one of my favorites out of the TED videos I have watched. It is fascinating to see how people’s decisions change from the posing of the question. What bothers me is that I still see the optical illusions. Even after it was proved that the two shades were exactly the same, it was as if they changed colors the moment they were placed back onto the cube. I guess there are some things we just can’t learn.

As for some of the other things he discussed, my mind linked back to the TED videos about happiness and choice. I suppose I cannot specifically state when and where I did that, though. Perhaps the point when he was explaining the doctor experiment?

Anyway, jolly good show! I look forward to the discussion!

• O’Donnell

Dean Kamen’s advances are astounding. I first learned of him through Iconoclasts, when he was featured with Isabella Rossellini, which centered on other inventions of his. Knowing that there is emerging technology that can create prosthetics that are so realistic is so uplifting. Family members of mine who have had prosthetics always found it like a wooden board – stiff and not very user friendly. I have so much respect for these emerging prosthetics that will mirror the user’s other limbs and actually provide use and aesthetic value.

I am glad we are addressing mental limitations and not just physical limitations, but I need to think on Dan Ariely’s talk for a lot longer before I can say anything about it.

I think the stereotypes in the Top Ten list are frequently used, which tells us a lot about how our society views and in turn interacts with people that are “disabled.” It pretty much all comes back to the sense that those who are not disabled are superior to those who have disabilities, and whether or not it’s shown as pity or disgust, it is all a display of superiority complexes than need to be adjusted.

• I do really like Aimee Mullins. I feel as though she represents people who are disabled. Yet, she is so powerful in her influence that I feel as though I’m being politically incorrect when I consider people disabled. She makes people feel as though they are greater than whatever they think is holding them back. She reminds me of my dad in a way. He has had one arm his entire life and to me I have really known anything different. But I have never considered him disabled in anyway ever. I have heard people ask him how he does certain things as if he was disabled. I get taken back by these statements due to the fact that I never viewed him in this light.
    Also I believe that people can be very easily swayed by people to act certain ways. In some circumstances I do believe that it is due to peer pressure but I believe it’s mainly because people want memories and experiences with their friends and if all are doing something they watn to be apart of it.

• McClurken

Isn’t it funny how much Mullins has changed and matured as a speaker? Though she’s good here, she’s really amazing later. The story about competing against athletes who had lost a hand made me wonder about how we define and compare disabilities. I mean, nobody’s going to argue that they are disabled, but is there really any competition with somebody who doesn’t have legs in a race? I thought Kamen’s arm was amazing, and really want to learn more about how it works.

So Areily’s talk was the most interesting for me, but that’s because I’m interested in possibly going into behavioral economics. But I wonder if the lack of rationality he mentions is really a limitation, because I believe that the fact that we’re not always completely rational is part of what defines the human condition. We aren’t machines, so we shouldn’t always make what seems to be the “rational” decision, because there are other factors in making decisions. But he makes a very interesting point– I know that the way things are presented to me makes a difference in the decisions I make.

• O’Donnell

I really enjoy watching Aimee Mullins Ted talks. I love how she turned her disability into something that makes people envy her. I have a family friend that has a disability but that didn’t stop her from living a normal life. She is in a wheelchair and has been since i first met her. The last time my family visited her she was attending George Washington University in DC. Having a disability makes people stronger not only physically but mentally.

I think the top ten stereotypes are constantly being used. It proves the point that our society today is quick to judge. Although judging people is just a natural part of how humans are. I judge people without even realizing it sometimes.

I’m really looking forward to this discussion tomorrow because it’ll help me better understand people with disabilities.

(Sorry this is late, O’Donnell.)

• O’Donnell

I forgot about having to post before eight. I suppose I should make this really uninteresting so the speakers aren’t missing anything, but I won’t.
    Ariele killed. He was a good speaker with a true message about humanity. We are not supermen, but it is in RECOGNIZING our limitations that we get closest to being supermen.
    Bionic Arm man was interesting, but even in the preview of the arm’s functionality, it seemed choppy and weak. I hope the technology there improves. Practicality is my favorite in technology.
    This leads to Amy Mullins who is extremely likable, but a symbol for something very wrong. Recently there has been debate as to whether disabled athletes should be able to run with abled athletes. I am very much against this. I love that she has found a way to run, I just wish the companies would spend more time designing for prudence instead of flashiness.

• I really like this topic about impairments and limitations because it covers the idea of overcoming obstacles. For aimee mullins, she was a runner, and she later had to obtain prosthetic legs due to her disability. She gives her talks and emphasizes that her prosthetic legs are not considered a disability to her. She does not allow people to look at her differently and she does not look at her lack of legs and consider herself disabled, but rather superabled. I love her attitude and I believe other people who have disabilities have the same attitude and dont want to be looked at differently or considered special, but the people holding them separately from the rest of the world are people like you and I. It’s people like you and I who are judging like crazy. It may not be intentional but we are guilty of it. We are guilty of falling into stereotypes and judging people by looking at them. We may not do it purposely, but some of us might stare a little extra longer at someone who is different, such as a person with a disability. I believe that the people holding back the disabled are the individuals that make up society. Those who have disabled are capable of doing other things and many of them don’t settle with their disability, but they go above and beyond to make a difference or impact, which I think is very inspiring.

• Good conversations today. I feel as though people with disabilities are treated differently because they are different, as much as we try not to treat them differently. There is a line in which people with disabilities in which they should not be allowed to compete against people without, on both sides. Where disabilities are an advantage and a hurt.
    Then Peer pressure has alot to do with what we choose to do. There are limits, like im not doing crack with my friends behind trinkle if they went to, but id go play basketball if they did. It affects everyone even if we try not to. We want it not to affect us but it does.
    Our limitations are in the air, and we know some of them but not all of them.

• McClurken
    Impairments should not limit who we are. Even though the media tries to mask disabilities and try to make them fit in, I think that people should embrace it without seeming cocky. It is a part of everybody’s uniqueness, so why try to completely ignore it? Even though we may like to say that seeing and having disabilities, we notice it more than we think. I personally think that I would rather not know my limitations and try to succeed to my best ability, and not have a predetermined goal that I can only get to.
    Whether we like it or not, we have people, things and images that influence us to do or not to do something. The way we were raised has so much to do with what kind of decisions we make, whether or not we realize it.

• O’Donnell

I thought today’s discussion was okay. I was expecting more from the discussion though. What I found shocking today is the fact that even wearing glasses is an impairment which came as a shock to me because that would mean that I am impaired. We also discussed the issue of obesity as an impairment. Personally, I believe that if one is genetically obese, then it is an impairment. However, if the person is obese by choice, then it is not an impairment. We also discussed whether addictions can be considered impairments, but I just believe that they are limitations because a disability is something outside of one’s control while an addiction can be controlled. It was also interesting when we talked about whether disabled people should be pardoned for things like murder. I am on the fence on this issue, but still, a murderer is a murderer, so I think they still should be punished no matter what.

Outside of the topic, we also discussed class participation. It is true that some people should raise their level of participation. Personally, I believe group leaders have been trying to get as many people to participate as possible. I feel that people should accept the invitation to participate. I think by this time we should all be comfortable discussing different topics with each other. Of course, not everyone will show an interest for every topic, but I am sure we can each input something in each discussion. It would create more ideas, which will result in a better discussion.

–Stacey Peros

• I thought our talk today was pretty great! We all discussed how ‘disabled’ people should be treated and how we as a society should define the word ‘disabled’. I personally think that we do well as a society in trying to incorporate disabled people to feel normal and soon enough those with physical disabilities will TAKE OVER THE WORLD. Just kidding, but as we discussed they may be at more of an advantage in the future because of their high-tech limbs. I hope the Dan Ariely talk really opened everyone’s eyes as to how we are limited as consumers and how many of our decisions are influenced by marketing schemes, which I find fascinating (and hope to take advantage of one day) :]

• After the discussion I feel like we never came to an understanding what a diability really is. Some people think it is anything from having down syndrome to being fat, and others feel that it is strictly having only one arm or being mentally retarded. I really enjoyed hearing what Elizabeth said today and she really had a great insight on this topic. I still am not quite sure what the difference between a disability and an impairment is but I have a better understanding.

Also discussed within class today was the issue of participation. I feel like a majority of the class does a great job with this and the group leaders really try to engage their audience as James stated. The group leaders do have a responsability to engage and try to make everyone speak but the other students involved in the discussion can also help with this.

Overall, great job today. I feel like we got a lot done although there was no set conclusion. Everyone has different beliefs on what a disability is and how we define impairments as well.

• Here is an article talking about the sports gene testing in children, in relation to the nature of “unfair advantages”: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/30/sports/30genetics.html?_r=2&scp=1&sq=actn3&st=cse

I personally feel that we need to stop obsessing so much about how we treat those with so-called “disabilities”, because that only separates them more from society. We need to acknowledge their differences just as we acknowledge any difference among people, and accept people as they are, doing our best to make equality of opportunity (as that is the value in our society, as opposed to equality of conditions… sorry to bring in the econ!). I thought our discussion today was really good, and that people brought up really thought-provoking points.

• Our class discussion went well to me. We thought that disability people should be treated the same in some circumstances. We should acknowledge them the same as other people, but realize that they have limits to some things. I think their is nothing a disabled person can’t do that a disabled person can do. I feel that the technology that is being build for these disabled people are a huge help for them, and amazing on how well it works.
    Our class also brought up how we follow others in their choice, since we get pressured into doing it. I like to make my choices for myself instead of following someone to be cool.

• O’Donnell
    Ugh. I forgot the actual topic until I came back to the site in wake of our participation showdown.
    Disabilities are defined in too many different ways. Having a disability means you are going to get some sort of special treatment, so they cannot be defined broadly at all. If there is ANY possible way the person is at fault, they should not be receiving our tax dollars. Limitations are simply disabilities that do not qualify for aid. Since America’s founders wanted it to be in no way communist or socialist, I don’t really see it as the governments job to ensure all people are equal, only provide that they have the minimum standard of living. The problem now, is that so many activists and politically correct obsessives use pressure to get even more bills passed for the disabled.
    Feeling bad for a disabled person isn’t something it is necessary to curb either. I feel bad when someone scrapes their knee, I’m going to feel bad when someone scrapes their leg off AT the knee as well. No white elephant hovering over everyone’s head for me. Address it straight on.
    The participation question came up. Through cost-benefit analysis we can see that asking members of the group to talk takes only a few minutes and may result in solid ideas, where spending significant time (thus cutting into time when other ideas can develop) is simply not worth it. I recognize it’s no good to have to fail someone for lack of participation, but the group leaders should only offer, not force.

• Donnelly Phillips
    October 10th, 2009 at 9:46 pm

O’Donnell – Sorry if this is a little late…

By the way, part of the time I’m posting as dphillip and part of the time I am Donnelly Phillips, depending on whether I remember to log in or not. I just want to be clear that they are BOTH me.

Secondly, that was a pretty awesome conversation, I suppose. Needless to say to O’Donnell’s class, I was unable to anything during it. THAT second conversation was more AWKWARD than awesome. I wanted to explain why I couldn’t during the end portion of the class when we were discussing me not talking and why I might have not been talking, but I suppose I couldn’t speak up for myself then, either.

It’s hard to speak up when you don’t have incredibly strong thoughts in your mind. Sure I had some ideas about everything and disabilities, being a high-functioning autistic and whatnot. I reacted in my mind and paid attention to what everyone was saying. I just had difficulty willing myself to speak. I usually have this difficulty. The problem I found myself facing was not being confident in my thoughts. I had plenty of thoughts, but none of them were strong enough to make my mouth move. Then when I organized my thought into something speakable I was at least partially confident in, the conversation already evolved and disproved my previous thought. If you haven’t exactly noticed, I only tend to speak to fill a silence. I don’t know what happened this class, but there were no favorable silences. I dunno what role my autism plays in it all, either.

I guess if you called me out, I wouldn’t have felt too awkward. I certainly would NOT just say “Meh” or “I dunno;” I would at least try to scrounge up something of some sort of relevance. Of course, at that point, that would be changing the focus to me instead of the conversation and where it was, which is probably why I would feel just fine speaking my mind then. THAT’S just me…

It was by no fault of the leaders that I didn’t speak. I for one believe that it is a required skill in this course to feel confident in your beliefs and respectfully interject people. I’m not sure about the quality of the conversation enhancing because everyone speaks, though. Irrelevant and obsolete information hinders the quality. As Tim mentioned, if you have nothing to say that would help the conversation, don’t speak. At the same time, I suppose it is arguable that this is not just a conversation; this is a class, which is graded by class participation. Our skills must be measured, which can only be done when we speak, which I didn’t. I thought, I just didn’t speak.

Aside from ranting about non-disability-related information, this conversation did shed some light. A disability is a kind of limitation where you receive official help. I believe that is what we determined in class. Something along those lines anyway.

So suppose this: you go out and say “Yup, I’msa go chopin’ my arms off!” and you chop your arms off. Another guy looses his arms in a terrible accident. Did we say that the person who deliberately chopped off his arms is not disabled? He just has a “limitation?” If both armless people show up to a hospital and explain their situations, is the doctor going to say, “Okay, you’re missing both your arms, so we can give you help. But YOU purposefully gave up your arms. I really don’t think we should help you.” I don’t know what you guys think, but I do believe they are both missing their friggin’ arms. They are both disabled and are eligible for official help. Same with obesity. Imagine that one guy was forced into fatness, the other was depressed and decided to try to eat to fill the void, becoming inevitably fat. They both have to go through the same suffering. Maybe one of them deserves more pity, but they are both disabled and need help. Again, THAT’S just me and my thoughts…

I suppose that’s all that was really on my mind. I can’t exactly remember why this thought was so important to me. It was the only one of my severals of thoughts I happened to remember, at the very least.

My failure to speak was completely my failure as a student. But mark my words, Tim, and mark them well! Next class, I will bring every fiber of my being ready to speak! Even at the cost of the conversation, my mind will be spoken! Even if I have to stab myself whilst speaking! Even at the cost of my reputation and dignity! Whether it’s laughable or impossible, great men open up the paths of battle!

• Thursdays discussion went well. People have many views of what a disability really is. I think a disability is an purley medical limitation that a person cannot overcome. Limitations on the other hand, are just factors in one’s life that one must surpass in order to succeed.
    Personally I do not think obesity is a disability, I think it is a limitation. If the individual knows that he or she was eating to much they have to stop. Even if they can’t stop or become addicted they should at least admit they have a problem and seek help. People need to realize that limitations are everywhere in life, it is up to the individual to persevere and rid themselves of the problem.

• The talk on impairments and limitations was one that we all learned from when we learned that one has to do with the psychological and one has to do with the physical. There were many good examples about these ranging from obesity, crippling yourself, and the discussion on “vegetables.”

I agree with Kevin when he says that limitations are everywhere and people need to have the self motivation to overcome them, after all, impossible is nothing.

Lastly, I won’t go into much detail, but what we talked about for the last ten minutes of class is something that we all need to make a conscious effort on every Tuesday and Thursday morning, and if you are a soft spoken person then it’s going to be a little more difficult to step outside your comfort zone and participate but again, impossible is nothing.

• I know I’m very late but I have to get these posts in. When talking about impairments and limitations, I don’t necessarily put the two together. As some impairments do not limit people, but when an impairment does limit someone I feel as though they do need to be treated differently. I do not mean be treated differently in a bad way, but in a way that helps them reach their maximum potential with what they are currently equiped with. As with Aimee Mullins, she has an impairment but not a limitation, but when someone is in a wheelchair, there needs to be a wheelchair ramp for easier access into stores. I never feel as though we should discriminate as I do not like that word. But we should help people by treating them as different as they need to reach what they can become.